Processed by: Staff, Jason Flahardy; machine-readable finding aid created by: Christine Reiss Wysocki
Loudoun House Photographic Collection
University of Kentucky Special Collections
Lexington, Kentucky 40506
Collection is open to researchers by appointment.
[Identification of item], Loudoun House Photographic Collection, PA79M9, Special Collections, University of Kentucky.
.25 cu. ft. (1 box): 7 items
William Cassius Goodloe (b. 1841 in Madison Co, KY) resided in Loudoun House from 1884 to 1889. He served as a Captain in the Civil War, and was later appointed by Lincoln as an Ambassador to Belgium. This photographic collection represents the work of his son, William Cassius Goodloe II, who photographed the interior of the house in the early 1900's. Hon. William Cassius Goodloe III (d. 1997) served as a Justice on the Washington State Supreme Court. The Goodloe family occupied Loudoun House from 1884 to 1921.
The Loudoun House was commissioned by Francis Key Hunt (1817-1879) after receiving a substantial inheritance from his father. Presumably inspired by the W.C.H. Waddell mansion on Murray Hill in New York City, which was designed by Alexander Jackson Davis (1803-1892), Hunt contacted Richard Upjohn (1802-1878), an architect with whom he had had previous contact. Upjohn did not approve of the Gothic Revival style for domestic architecture, and their correspondence quickly ended. Hunt then initiated contact with architect Alexander Jackson Davis. Davis never visited the site in Kentucky, and Hunt only visited the architect in New York once, toward the completion of the project. The entire plan for Loudoun House was executed by written correspondence. A local builder, John McMurty (1812-1890), was contracted to construct the villa, which ultimately took two years to complete (1850-1852), and cost over $30,000.
One of five castellated Gothic Revival villas remaining in the U.S. by architect A.J. Davis, the Loudoun House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Hunt named the villa for his wife, Julia's favorite song, "The Bells of Loudoun." She sold the home in 1884 to William Cassius Goodloe. The Goodloe family owned Loudoun until 1921, when it was sold to J.F. Bailey of Paintsville, KY. The City of Lexington purchased Loudoun House later in the 1920's, and it is currently the headquarters of the Lexington Art League.
Collection consists of seven contact-speed developing-out papers prints of various locations inside Loudoun House circa 1903.
All images are in the public domain.
, PA62M94, Special Collections, University of Kentucky.
Lexington Art League. 2002.