Back Thru The Wildcat Years
Six Years Ago
- *For the second straight year, the Kentucky basketball staff enjoyed a banner recruiting season, as the 'Cats landed four prize prospects to the national letter of intent. The tallest of the lot is 6-11 Melvin Turpin, who played at Lexington Bryan Station High School before attending Fork Union Military School last year. The shortest of the new Wildcats is 5-foot-ll all-stater Dicky Beal of Covington Holmes High School. Beal's signing came as somewhat of a surprise. He had previously announced he would attend DePaul before having a change of heart. UK went to Harborfield High School in New York to land 6-9 Bret Bearup, a consensus Ail-American. Another signee considered a blue chipper is guard Jim Master of Ft. Wayne, Ind.
(1985-86 season rundown)
1. True or False UK limited its opponents to less than 50 percent from the field for the
2. What Wildcat player led the team for the most free throw attempts?
a) Winston Bennett
b) Ed Davender
c) Kenny Walker
d) James Blackmon
3. Against which team did UK score the most points in one game?
c) East Carolina
4. What UK player committed the most personal fouls?
a) Roger Harden
b) Ed Davender
c) Cedric Jenkins
d) Winston Bennett
5. Against which of the following did Kentucky have its greatest margin of victory?
6. True or False UK reserve forward Todd Ziegler shot better than 50 percent from the field.
7. Who was the Wildcats' leading scorer in their victory over Louisville in Rupp Arena?
a) Kenny Walker
b) Roger Harden
c) Winston Bennett
d) James Blackmon
8. True or False. The Wildcats didn't lose a game during the Sweetheart month (February).
*Spring football continued at Kentucky and much of the focus continues to surround the quarterback race. Coach Fran Curci has four candidates — Randy Jenkins, Larry McCrim-mon, Terry Henry and Rich Buehner — who are battling for the number one job. With leading rushers Chris Jones and Shawn Donigan returning, along with several other highly qualified runners, the Cats are expected to have a strong backfield corps.
Ten Years Ago
Senior Reggie Warford walked away with most of the hardware at the annual Kentucky basketball banquet. He won the Frank Seale Award as the Outstanding Senior, the Senior Appreciation Award, the award for fewest turnovers, the K-Men's Scholastics Award and the Kiwanis 110 percent Award. Mike Phillips and Jack Givens, both sophomores, were co-
winners in the MVP awards. Givens captured the best free throw shooter award and Phillips won the rebounding award.
*Kentucky's Sonny Collins, the SEC's all-time leading rusher, was picked in the second round of the National Football League draft. The Atlanta Falcons picked Collins, who was the ninth runner selected in the draft. The only other Wildcat selected was offensive tackle Wally Pesuit, who was picked in the fifth round by Dallas.
*Before 10,000 fans at Commonwealth Stadium, UK unveiled its new wishbone attack in the annual Blue-White spring game. The Blue team won the game 27-7. Sophomore fullback Rod Stewart led all rushers with 84 yards. Quarterback Derrick Ramsey had 84 yards passing and 47 yards on the ground. The other quarterback to see a great deal of action, Bill Tolston, was also impressive.
10. How many Kentucky players averaged at \
least double figures for Eddie Sutton's club? i
2. Kenny Walker (263)
3. Hawaii (98 points)
4. Winston Bennett (123)
5. VMI (38-point victory, 93-55)
7. Winston Bennett (23 points)
& False (Lost at North Carolina State) 9. False (Walker scored 721 points) 10. Three (Walker, Bennett and Davender) .
*In the basketball recruiting wars, Kentucky landed three-time All-Stater LaVon Williams of Denver, Colorado, two-time Kentucky All-Stater Tim Stephens of McCreary County and Ail-American Jay Shidler of Lawrenceville, Illinois. Mississippi State was another SEC school considered to have a banner year as the Bulldogs landed 6-11 All-American Ricky Brown of Georgia, who was recruited heavily by Kentucky.
Fifteen Years Ago
The UK baseball team fell to Cincinnati 7-1, hurting its own cause with several errors. The Wildcats, making their strongest bid in years for the SEC title, split with Auburn. UK's Dave Bair leads the SEC with four triples while Derek Bryant is second with a .385 batting average.
*UK basketball coach Adolph Rupp is scheduled to undergo minor foot surgery at the UK Medical Center.
?After a spring football scrimmage last week, UK coach John Ray said "this is the best scrimmage we have had for this early since I have been here. We were very pleased with the spirit and execution after only five days of practice.
*A11-American Roger Hamperian of West Virginia and All-American Mike Emmanuel of Pensylvania signed football grants with UK.
*UK's Mike Casey has signed a pro basketball contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers while Wildcat Larry Steele signed with the Portland Trail Blazers.
"Keep Time With The 'Kentucky Wildcats'"
With this special designed watch, featuring the "Kentucky Wildcat" emblem on the dial. A floating basketball as second hand makes this watch very unique. (A must to see!) Quartz analogue with Swiss technology plus calendar. Has one year warranty. A great gift idea! Order today, and take advantage of this special price— $39.95 + 1.50 for shipping and handling. Send check or M.O. to:
Thomas World Enterprise
P.O. Box 8246 Paducah, KY 42002-8246
(502) 554-1824 Ladies Watches add $1.00 No floating basketball.
9. True or False. Kenny did not score more than 700 points during his senior campaign.