DR. OTIS A. SINGLETARY President, University or Kentucky
THE UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY . . . The State Is Our Campus
Located in Lexington, an urban community of 1 80,000 population in the heart of Kentucky's famed Blue Grass region, University of Kentucky is a state-supported, land-grant institution which celebrated its centennial year in 1965.
The present school, which this fall enrolled 33,612 students and now offers instruction in 10 academic colleges plus a Graduate School and a Community College system of 13 centers, had its beginnings in 1865 when it was established as a part of old Kentucky University. This action by the State Legislature united sectarian and public education under one organization for the first time. Federal funds authorized under the Morrill Act were used to develop agriculture and mechanical arts within KU and, in 1878, A&M College was separated from KU to become a separate state institution on the general site of what is now the 706 acre main campus. Name changes in 1908 and 1916 resulted in the title by which the school is now known.
It is fully accredited in its respective colleges and departments by all of the major professional societies and educational organizations.
President of the University is Dr. Otis A. Singletary, who came to Lexington in 1969 from the University of Texas, Austin, where he was executive vice chancellor for academic affairs.
Dr. Singletary, who is eighth president of the University, served a total of eight years at Texas, progressing during seven (1954-61) of those years from instructor to professor, associate dean of Arts and Sciences and assistant to the president. Then for five years (1961-66), he was chancellor of the University of North Carolina, although he was on leave from October 1964 to January 1966 to serve as director of the Job Corps, Office of Economic Opportunity.