HARRY C. LANCASTER Director of Athletics
The athletics scene at the University of Kentucky has been in a constant state of improvement since Harry Lancaster was named athletic director in late 1968. While the finishing touches were being put to the new 58,000 Commonwealth Stadium late last summer, workmen on the other side of the campus completed a new ceiling in Memorial Coliseum and then reworked and painted the floor where many national basketball champions and All-Americans have been produced.
The new ceiling went with a new roof previously installed, the running track at Shively Sports Center has an all-weather surface, a press box and additional seating have been provided for track events, and baseball has a new scoreboard, just a few of the many other improvements realized under Lancaster's leadership.
In addition, more money has been allocated to spring sports, which have progressed steadily during the past five years, and wrestling has been added this year as a varsity sport.
Lancaster's affiliation with the University athletic program began in 1943, when he served as a part-time assistant in basketball while earning his master's degree. He came to the University in September 1941 as a full-time instructor in Physical Education and remained in that position until March 1944, when he entered the U.S. Navy as a Seaman 2/c. He advanced to lieutenant (SG) and returned to the University in March 1946 as an assistant to basketball coach Adolph Rupp.
From that time until 1970, he was top assistant on basketball teams that won four NCAA and many other championships. He also coached the Wildcat basketball freshmen, compiling a record of 204 victories against only 57 losses, and served 16 seasons as baseball coach, giving the school its winningest baseball seasons with identical 18-8 marks in 1959-60.
A native of Paris (Ky.), he lettered in football, basketball and baseball under Coach Blanton Collier at Paris High, and then earned letters for three years in each