Interview with Walter A. Baker, August 10, 2002
Part of Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Interview with Walter A. Baker, August 10, 2002
- Eric Moyen; interviewer. Walter A. Baker; interviewee.
- oral histories
- Publication date:
- Date uploaded:
- Baker (House 1968-1970, 23rd district; Senate 1972-1981, 1989-1996, 9th district; Republican) begins the interview discussing family, including grandfather who served in the Civil War. He details his experiences at Harvard College and Harvard Law School, including encounters with distinguished public figures such as Henry Kissinger and Lyndon B. Johnson . He describes the U.S. Senate of the late 1950s as seen through the eyes of a summer intern for Senator Thruston Morton. Other topics include Baker’s political philosophy, campaigning for state office, education and legislative reform. He concludes with an overview of the leadership styles of several governors.
- Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries
- University of Kentucky
- Civil service -- Study and teaching (Internship), Morton, Thruston B. (Thruston Ballard), 1907-1982., Kentucky. General Assembly -- Reform., Kentucky. Governor (1967-1971 : Nunn), Kentucky. Governor (1971-1974 : Ford), Kentucky. Governor (1974-1979 : Carroll), Kentucky. Governor (1979-1983 : Brown), Kentucky. Governor (1983-1987 : Collins), Kentucky. Governor (1987-1991 : Wilkinson), Kentucky. Governor (1991-1995 : Jones), Kentucky. Governor (1995-2003 : Patton), Kentucky. Supreme Court, Reagan, Ronald., Kissinger, Henry, 1923-, Cooper, John Sherman, 1901-1991, Education, Harvard College, Harvard Law School, political philosophy, campaigning, tax legislation, legislative independence, Term/District: House (1968-1970), 23rd district; Senate (1972-1981, 1989-1996), 9th district, Leadership Position(s): Senate Minority Caucus Chair, 1976 -1980, Counties in District: Barren County (Ky.), Metcalfe County (Ky.), Monroe County (Ky.), Simpson County (Ky.), Allen County (Ky.), Edmonson County (Ky.), Butler County (Ky.)
- Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Metadata record:
- This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. Physical rights are retained by the owning repository. Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws. Please go to http://kdl.kyvl.org for more information.