Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Trustees, University of
Kentucky, April 3, 1945.
The Board of Trustees of the University of Kentucky met in the
Presidentts Office at 10:15 a.m., Tuesday, April 3, 1945. The fol-
lowing members were present: Governor S. S. Willis, Judge R. C.
Stoll, i-Trs. Paul G. Blazer, John Fred Williaims, Superintendent of
Public Instruction, Horace Cleveland, J. C. Everett, H. D. Palmore,
R. P. Hobson, Robert Tway, Thomas Cutler, Grover Creech, Harper
Gatton and Judge Harry W. Walters. President H. L. Donovan and
Comptroller Frank D. Peterson, Secretary of the Board, were present.
A. Petition of Students Submitted to Governor Willis.
President Donovan read a copy of the petition of certain students
in attendance at the University of Kentucky which had been submitted
to Governor Willis on April 2, 1945, asking for a public hearing on
the Aeronautical Research Laboratory, which was originally given to
the University by Axel Wenner-Gren. Governor Willis then read the
letter which was submitted by the petitioners with the petition.
The official minutes of the Board of Trustees kept by the Secre-
tary were then produced for the past five years and Judge Stoll read
aloud to the members of the Board each reference in the minutes of
this period to the Wenner-Gren Aeronautical Research Laboratory or
the Aeronautical Research Laboratory, which minutes concerned the
receipt of the gift, the construction of the building, and the opera-
tion of the Laboratory, giving to the Board and the Governor the
complete record relating to the Laboratory from its original inception
to date. The Governor requested a complete copy of the minutes sent
to his office, a statement as to profit or loss from the operation of
the Laboratory, the number of men taughst in the Laboratory, and the
soldiers trained at the University from 1942 to date.
B. Architects' Plans--Men's Dormitory, Women's Dormitory, and
President Donovan reported to the Board that the architects who
have been employed by the Board to design plans and make specificd.
tions for certain buildings were available, and would be pleased to
show to members of the Board the preliminary plans of each building,
John F. Wilsons architect employed to plan and supervise the
construction of the Men's Dormitory, was invited to come before the
Board. Ivr. Wilson presented his plan in detail and answered various
questions about the proposed plan, after which he withdrew from the