THE UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY
. . . The State Is Our Campus
The present school, which last fall enrolled 1 1,300 students and population in the heart of Kentucky's famed Blue Grass region, University of Kentucky is a state-supported, land-grant institution now in its 98th year.
The present school, which last fall enrolled 1 1,300 students and now offers instruction in 10 academic colleges plus a Graduate School
and a division of Extended Programs, had its beginnings in 1865 when it was established as a part of old Kentucky University. This action by the State Legislature united sectarian and public education under one organization for the first time. Federal funds authorized under the Morrill Act were used to develop agriculture and mechanical arts within KU and, in 1878, A&M College was separated from KU to become a separate state institution on the general site of what is now the 706-acre main campus. Name changes in 1908 and 1916 resulted in the title by which the school is now known.
Dr. Frank G. Dickey currently serves as president of the University. The youthful, athletic-minded former dean President Dickey of the UK College of Education suc-
ceeded venerable Dr. Herman L. Donovan in 1956 as the eighth chief administrative officer in the school's history. Dr. Dickey also is a former president of the Southeastern Conference.
The University is on the approved list of the Association of American Universities and is a member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. It is fully accredited in its respective colleges and departments by all of the major professional societies and educational organizations.