Processed by: Archives Staff ; machine-readable finding aid created by:Eric Weig
Notes on Morton School
University of Kentucky Special CollectionsLexington, Kentucky 40506
Arrangement appears to be by type.
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], Notes on Morton School, ca. 1897-ca. 1935, 1F49M-91, Special Collections, University of Kentucky.
1 reel of microfilm (partial)
William Morton, who came Lexington, Ky. from England in 1788, established a general merchandising and drug business at the corner of Main and Upper Streets in Lexington. He also owned a tanyard and was the president of the Kentucky Insurance Company, the first to be given banking powers by the Kentucky legislature. He bequeathed over $12,000 to the city of Lexington to provide for the education of poor children orphaned by the 1833 cholera epidemic. The school was originally located in an old church at Short and Walnut Streets. In 1909 Morton School became a high school; it became a junior high school in 1917.
These are microfilmed papers relating to the history of Morton School and to its benefactor, William Morton. There is much correspondence relating to Morton and the school, along with numerous clippings and a typed copy of Morton's will, which was probated August 18, 1836. Pages from the Lexington Directory for 1806 which include Morton's name and business address are also reproduced.
Copyright has not been assigned to the University of Kentucky.