Finding aid prepared by Megan Mummey
Stanford, Kentucky, Methodist Episcopal Church South records
University of Kentucky Special Collections
Collection is arranged chronologically.
Collection is open to researchers.
2013ms0754: [identification of item], Stanford, Kentucky, Methodist Episcopal Church South records, 1867-1941, University of Kentucky Special Collections.
0.5 Cubic feet
The Stanford, Kentucky Methodist Episcopal Church South records (1867-1941; 0.5 cubic feet; 5 volumes) consist of digital scans for the churches membership lists; elders quarterly conference minutes; and records of baptisms, marriages, and confirmations. The records document the history of the church dating from reconstruction until the early 1940s.
A schism due to a disagreement concerning slavery created two Methodist Churches in the United States in 1844; the Stanford Methodist Church was a part of the Southern Methodist Church until the church reunified in 1939. At first the Methodist church in Stanford was a part of the Hustonville Circuit and later the Crab Orchard circuit. Preaching in Stanford stopped in 1851 for unknown reasons and began again in 1856. From 1858 until 1867, Stanford was united with two different stations: first Lancaster and then Perryville. In 1867, Stanford became a station with Reverend Morris Evans as its first pastor. Records up until this point and afterward were kept by B. Van Arsdale. During the mid-19th century methodists in Stanford met at a common meeting place near Depot Street until the church purchased their present city lot in 1864. Their first church was a small house used until 1917, when a larger church was built around the original house. In 1885, the Stanford Methodist Church converted a union Sunday School at Bright's Church House into a new church named McKendree. The Stanford Methodist Church governed the McKendree Church from 1885 until 1898 and again from 1902 until 1907.
Matheny, Elsie Coleman. Historical Sketch of the Stanford, Kentucky Methodist Church. [S.l. : s.n., 1966].
Copyright for the digitized material resides with the University of Kentucky. For information about permission to reproduce or publish, please contact Special Collections.