niSTORY OF MIAMI UNIVERSITY.
subject to tbe annual payment of a quit rent of six per cent, on tbe purchase money. It required a number of years before all the lands were disposed of and suitable buildings erected, to accommodate the college. So soon as this was accomplished, a faculty was organized, and the college was opened on the first Monday of November, 1824, under the superintendence of the Rev. Robert H. Bishop, a native of Scotland, and a clergyman of the Presbyterian denomination, as president. Be continued to preside over the institution until the year 1841. The first commencement, when degrees were conferred, was held in September, 1826, when the degree of A. B. was conferred on twelve young gentlemen.
" Since that time, the whole number who have graduated in the college, up to the year 1856, inclusive, is five hundred and seventy-nine.
"The town of Oxford is situated on an elevated and commanding prominence, from which the grouud descends gently in all directions. It is laid out one mile square, in the eastern part of which is reserved a plat of ground on which are erected the college buildings.
"The number of teachers in Miami University, are six professors, a Principal of the Preparatory Bepartment, and a Briucipal of the Normal and Model school. According to the catalogue published for the last year, the number of students in the institution was two hundred and fifty-one.
"The permanent revenue for the support of the University, arising from the rents of the college lands, is about five thousand five hundred dollars per annum, in addition to which, is the receipts arising from tuition fees; this will, however, vary according to the number of students in attendance.
" The college library contains about eight thousand volumes of books, generally well selected and valuable. There is, in the college, a well arranged and valuable cabinet of specimens, which affords the means of a very complete exhibition of the subjects of Geology and Mineralogy. And the apparatus belonging to the college, affords the means for a satisfactory illustration of the most important doctrines of the various departments of Mathematics, Astronomy, Natural Philosophy and Chemistry. ' The Theological Seminary of the Associate Reformed Synod of the West,' is likewise located at Oxford.
"Besides the University and Theological Seminary, there are three other seminaries, for the education of females, at Oxford. In 1849, 'The Oxford Female Institute' was established under the