CANAL AND SCnoOL LAWS PASSED IN OHIO.
direction of the Bev. John W. Scott, D. D. The number of pupils in attendance from the time of its opening up to the present time, according to the published catalogues, has been from one hundred and thirty-nine to one hundred aud seventy-two.
"An institution called 'The Western Female Seminary,' (on the plan of the Mount Hollyoke Seminary,) was dedicated in September, 1855. It opened with one hundred and fifty pupils.
"'The Oxford Female College' is erected on a tract of twenty-five acres of land, near the north-east corner of the town of Oxford. The building is extensive and elegant, and said to be admirably adapted for the purpose for which it is intended."
Upon the 4th of February, 1825, a law was passed by Ohio, author-1825.] izing the making of two canals, one from the Ohio to Lake Erie, by the valleys of the Scioto and Muskingum; the other from Cincinnati to Dayton; and a canal fund wTas created; the vote in the House in favor of the law was fifty-eight to thirteen; in the Senate, thirty-four to two.
Upon the day following, the law to provide for a system of common schools was also passed by large majorities.
These two laws were carried by the union of the friends of each, and by the unremitting efforts of a few public spirited men.
Geueral Clark and Governor Cass, having been appointed commissioners, to mediate at Prairie du Chien, between the Sioux, Sac, Fox, Chippewa, Menomonie and Winnebago tribes of Indians, and to establish boundaries between them, returns were received from those gentlemen this year. They had been successful in their undertaking and had concluded treaties with those tribes, by which their long and bloody wars were terminated, and boundaries assigned to them, as the surest guarantee against future hostilities.
In 1826, the first steamboat was seen on the waters of Lake Michi-1826.] gan, a pleasure trip having been made that year to Green Bay; and, although during the following years similar trips were made to that place, it was not until 1832 that a boat visited Chicago. In 1833, the trade upon the upper lakes was carried on by eleven steamboats, costing about three hundred and sixty thousand dollars, and two trips were made to Chicago and one to Green Bay. In 1824, there were eighteen boats, costing six hundred thousand dollars, and three trips were made to Chicago and one to Green Bay. The commerce west of Detroit, at that time, and for many years