Collections: 
0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Lafayette Studios photographs: 1920s decade, 1926-1929

item | details | guide | text

Author

Finding aid prepared by Processed by Richard Leigh, Jacob Broderick,

Christian Trombetta and Jessica Powell under the supervision of Jason Flahardy;

machine-readable finding aid created by Jason Flahardy and Digital Library

Services staff

Title

Lafayette Studios photographs: 1920s decade

Date

1926-1929

Repository

University of Kentucky Special Collections

Arrangement

The collection is arranged by Lafayette Studios-assigned invoice number, listed in the guide as the item number for each image. The numbers are in a rough chronological order. Multiple images in an invoice group are represented by the invoice number, followed by an alphabetical qualifier: a, b, c, etc. The numbers are not contiguous and the many gaps in the collection represent missing invoice/work orders. University of Kentucky Archives has no information on the content or fate of the missing invoice groups. Most invoice groups (represented as whole numbers) contain more than one image.

Conditions Governing Access note

The collection is open for research use.

Preferred Citation Note

96PA101: [identification of item], Collection on Lafayette Studios, University of Kentucky Archives.

Extent

55 items

Biography/History

Robert J. "Bob" Long and his wife, Ida Nelson Long, opened Lafayette Studios in 1923, operating it out of the New Johns Building at 108 Walnut Street (now Martin Luther King Boulevard) in Lexington, Kentucky. Bob and Ida Long already had a few years experience in still and moving image photography and Bob Long worked as a projectionist at the newly opened Kentucky Theatre on East Main Street. In 1925, they expanded their business and moved the studio space to 311 West Main Street. By the early 1930s, the Longs bought out their main competitor, Starman Studios. Around this time, Bob Long left his job at the Kentucky Theatre and focused on building Lafayette Studios into Lexington's most successful photographic studio. In the late 1930s, the Longs moved again, this time to the Starman Studio space, at 301 West Main Street. By 1941, they moved again, settling into 141-143 North Limestone; it was to be the studio's home until 1984. In 1959, the Longs sold Lafayette Studios to Chester Wainscott and Goy Goforth and retired. After 1962, Wainscott became the sole owner and operator until the studio closed in 1985 at its final location of 111 South Limestone.

Scope and Content

This finding aid lists the 1920s images produced by Lafayette Studios (55 items; dated 1940-1949). The Lafayette Studios photographs consists of 17,269 photographic negatives (52.0 cubic feet, 115 boxes) in the 8x10, 5x7, and 4x5 formats and both nitrate and acetate base materials are present. Scenes of commercial real estate in downtown Lexington predominate, but civil and social groups are represented, as well as photographic orders filled at the request of private individuals that cover a wide array of subject matter.

Subjects

  • Lexington (Ky.)
  • Lexington (Ky.)--Social life and customs--Pictorial works.
  • Historic buildings--Kentucky--Lexington.
  • Lexington (Ky.)--History--Pictorial works.

Related Material

See also other guides to additional decades of Lafayette Studios photographs.

Collection Inventory

1926
People standing near car, 1926
[Item: 7705] browse
1928
Combs Lumber Company; 439 E. Main (Certain-teed Quick-Drying Enamels), 1928-01-14
[Item: 2036] browse
Flood Views; Main Street ; Storefronts in background; Postal Telegraph-Cable Company, 205 East Main; Morris Shoe Repairing, 209 East Main; Johns Drug Company, 203 East Main, 1928-07-13
[Item: 2063] browse
Elmore Antique Shop; chandelier, 1928-10-11
[Item: 64] browse
St. Joseph's Hospital, 544 West Second (2nd) Street exterior; one-story brick building; 544 West Second Street, 1928-11-26
[Item: 114] browse
Morton Junior High School, 120 Walnut Street; Coon's Restaurant (Hughes' Ice Cream Sign in foreground), 1928-12-15
[Item: 907] browse
Lawwill and Norwood Realtors building, 107 West Short , exterior Cigars Spears Magazines Store; southeast corner of Main Street and Upper, 1928
[Item: 1788] browse
Maccabee's (Drill Team); Golden Anniversary Jubilee, 1928
[Item: 184a] browse
Maccabee's (Drill Team); Golden Anniversary Jubilee, 1928
[Item: 184b] browse
Henry Clay High School, 701 East Main; exterior (from Walton Avenue, looking East), 1928
[Item: 2103] browse
Style show (L.L. Roberts, Electrolux, Sears & Roebuck Candioto Piano Company), 1928
[Item: 2219] browse
Bryan Station Spring; street scene [DAMAGED], 1928
[Item: 2241a] browse
Bryan Station Spring sign, 1928
[Item: 2241b] browse
Bryan Station Spring; street scene, 1928
[Item: 2241c] browse
1929
Good Samaritan Hospital, 310-330 South Limestone; exterior (Mary A. Ott Memorial), 1929-01-29
[Item: 739] browse
Kaufman's Clothing Company; exterior, storefront; 135 West Main Street, 1929-02-02
[Item: 534a] browse
Kaufman's Clothing Company; exterior, storefront; 135 West Main Street, 1929-02-02
[Item: 534b] browse
Louisville Herald-Post; Lexington Motor Police being presented with check, 1929-02-11
[Item: 538] browse
Lexington Laundry Company truck; in front of Morrison Hall Transylvania University Campus, 1929-03-06
[Item: 571a] browse
Lexington Laundry Company car; in front of Morrison Hall Transylvania University Campus, 1929-03-06
[Item: 571b] browse
Howard & Heafey, "Florists, Flowers for all Occasions" (Winchester Road beyond Loudon Avenue Road 4); exterior, greenhouses, 1929-04-20
[Item: 489] browse
Home Economics Classroom, 1929-04-25
[Item: 444] browse
Purcell, J.D. Company; exterior, window; 326, 327,328,329, 330 West Main Street; plaque reads: "Upon this site stood Lexington Fort, 1780; and later the market house in which convened the first Legislature of Kentucky, June 4, 1792.", 1929-05-08
[Item: 433] browse
Berryman, C.H.; mare and foal, 1929-05-11
[Item: 345a] browse
Berryman, C.H.; mare and foal, 1929-05-11
[Item: 345b] browse
Berryman, C.H.; mare and foal, 1929-05-11
[Item: 345c] browse
Mare and foal, 1929-05-11
[Item: 345d] browse
Mare and foal, 1929-05-11
[Item: 345e] browse
Mare and foal, 1929-05-11
[Item: 345f] browse
Consolidated Lines (Consolidated Coach Corporation) bus number 401, 1929-05-17
[Item: 431] browse
Central Fire Station, Lexington Fire Department; exterior, with truck, 1929-06-14
[Item: 368a] browse
Central Fire Station, Lexington Fire Department; exterior, with truck, 1929-06-14
[Item: 368b] browse
Fire Photos: scenes at Leet Brothers Furniture (Southern Bedding Company); fire scenes at barn, 1929-06-16
[Item: 382a] browse
Fire Photos: fire scenes at Leet Brothers Furniture Store; fire scenes at barn, 1929-06-16
[Item: 382b] browse
Fire Photos: fire scenes at Leet Brothers Furniture Store; fire scenes at barn, 1929-06-16
[Item: 382c] browse
Fire Photos: fire scenes at Leet Brothers Furniture Store; fire scenes at barn, 1929-06-16
[Item: 382d] browse
Fire Photos: fire scenes at Leet Brothers Furniture Store; fire scenes at barn, 1929-06-16
[Item: 382e] browse
Tafel Electric Company 564 West Main; Walker-Megown Company Hardware; 566, 567, 568 West Main Street; exterior of building, 1929-06-21
[Item: 406] browse
Dixie Antique Shop; marble, griffin legged table, 1929-08-10
[Item: 254a] browse
Dixie Antique Shop; marble, griffin legged table, 1929-08-10
[Item: 254b] browse
Dixie Antique Shop; marble, griffin legged table, 1929-08-10
[Item: 254c] browse
Dixie Antique Shop; marble, griffin legged table, 1929-08-10
[Item: 254d] browse
Kentucky Coach Company; fair tents, 1929-08-23
[Item: 264] browse
Texaco; Thompson Road, Old Frankfort Pike, 1929-09-07
[Item: 286] browse
Kentucky Club Ginger Ale truck parked in front of stores on the side of East Main; John G. Epping Bottling Works; Thorpe's Tailoring Department, Keith's Bar and Chop House; Question Mark Cafe, 133 East Main Street, 1929-09-28
[Item: 306] browse
Selman Department Store; exterior, 1929-10-10
[Item: 342a] browse
Selman Department Store; exterior, 1929-10-10
[Item: 342b] browse
Montgomery Ward; exterior, 230-232 East Main Street, 1929-10-16
[Item: 324] browse
Piggly Wiggly; interior, produce display, 1929-10-19
[Item: 333] browse
Fairbanks, Morse, & Company manufacturer; pump engine, 1929-10-28
[Item: 241a] browse
Fairbanks, Morse, & Company manufacturer; pump engine, 1929-10-28
[Item: 241b] browse
Montgomery Ward Company; exterior; 230-232 East Main, 1929-11-06
[Item: 627] browse
Boy Scouts; group photo, 1929-11-28
[Item: 214a] browse
Boy Scouts; group photo, 1929-11-28
[Item: 214b] browse
Denton Company; Santa Claus, 1929-11-29
[Item: 213] browse