Collections: 
0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Lafayette Studios photographs: 1920s decade, 1926

Part of Lafayette Studios photographs: 1920s decade

item | details | guide | text
96pa101_1926_1929 Guide to the Collection on Lafayette Studios: 1920s decade, 1926-1929 96PA101 Finding aid prepared by Processed by Richard Leigh, Jacob Broderick, Christian Trombetta and Jessica Powell under the supervision of Jason Flahardy; machine-readable finding aid created by Jason Flahardy and Digital Library Services staff University of Kentucky Special Collections Special Collections Margaret I. King Building, North Lexington, KY, 40506-0039 (859) 257-8611 SCLREF@LSV.UKY.EDU 2005; rev. 2013 Description is in English. Lafayette Studios photographs: 1920s decade 96PA101 University of Kentucky Special Collections 55 items 1926-1929 Lafayette Studios Long, Robert J. Conditions Governing Access note The collection is open for research use. Conditions Governing Use note All rights to the photographs, including but not restricted to legal title, copyrights and literary property rights, have been transferred to the University of Kentucky Archives. Photographs may be reproduced with permission from Audio-Visual Archives, University of Kentucky Libraries. Preferred Citation note 96PA101: [identification of item], Collection on Lafayette Studios, University of Kentucky Archives. Biographical/Historical note Robert J. "Bob" Long and his wife, Ida Nelson Long, opened Lafayette Studios in 1923, operating it out of the New Johns Building at 108 Walnut Street (now Martin Luther King Boulevard) in Lexington, Kentucky. Bob and Ida Long already had a few years experience in still and moving image photography and Bob Long worked as a projectionist at the newly opened Kentucky Theatre on East Main Street. In 1925, they expanded their business and moved the studio space to 311 West Main Street. By the early 1930s, the Longs bought out their main competitor, Starman Studios. Around this time, Bob Long left his job at the Kentucky Theatre and focused on building Lafayette Studios into Lexington's most successful photographic studio. In the late 1930s, the Longs moved again, this time to the Starman Studio space, at 301 West Main Street. By 1941, they moved again, settling into 141-143 North Limestone; it was to be the studio's home until 1984. In 1959, the Longs sold Lafayette Studios to Chester Wainscott and Goy Goforth and retired. After 1962, Wainscott became the sole owner and operator until the studio closed in 1985 at its final location of 111 South Limestone. Scope and Contents note This finding aid lists the 1920s images produced by Lafayette Studios (55 items; dated 1940-1949). The Lafayette Studios photographs consists of 17,269 photographic negatives (52.0 cubic feet, 115 boxes) in the 8x10, 5x7, and 4x5 formats and both nitrate and acetate base materials are present. Scenes of commercial real estate in downtown Lexington predominate, but civil and social groups are represented, as well as photographic orders filled at the request of private individuals that cover a wide array of subject matter. Arrangement note The collection is arranged by Lafayette Studios-assigned invoice number, listed in the guide as the item number for each image. The numbers are in a rough chronological order. Multiple images in an invoice group are represented by the invoice number, followed by an alphabetical qualifier: a, b, c, etc. The numbers are not contiguous and the many gaps in the collection represent missing invoice/work orders. University of Kentucky Archives has no information on the content or fate of the missing invoice groups. Most invoice groups (represented as whole numbers) contain more than one image. Historic buildings--Kentucky--Lexington. Lexington (Ky.) Lexington (Ky.)--History--Pictorial works. Lexington (Ky.)--Social life and customs--Pictorial works. Related Materials note See also other guides to additional decades of Lafayette Studios photographs. 1926 7705 People standing near car 1926 1928 2036 Combs Lumber Company; 439 E. Main (Certain-teed Quick-Drying Enamels) 1928-01-14 2063 Flood Views; Main Street ; Storefronts in background; Postal Telegraph-Cable Company, 205 East Main; Morris Shoe Repairing, 209 East Main; Johns Drug Company, 203 East Main 1928-07-13 64 Elmore Antique Shop; chandelier 1928-10-11 114 St. Joseph's Hospital, 544 West Second (2nd) Street; exterior; one-story brick building; 544 West Second Street 1928-11-26 907 Morton Junior High School, 120 Walnut Street; Coon's Restaurant (Hughes' Ice Cream Sign in foreground) 1928-12-15 1788 Lawwill and Norwood Realtors building, 107 West Short , exterior; Cigars Spears Magazines Store; southeast corner of Main Street and Upper 1928 184a Maccabee's (Drill Team); Golden Anniversary Jubilee 1928 184b Maccabee's (Drill Team); Golden Anniversary Jubilee 1928 2103 Henry Clay High School, 701 East Main; exterior (from Walton Avenue, looking East) 1928 2219 Style show (L.L. Roberts, Electrolux, Sears & Roebuck, Candioto Piano Company) 1928 2241a Bryan Station Spring; street scene [DAMAGED] 1928 2241b Bryan Station Spring sign 1928 2241c Bryan Station Spring; street scene 1928 1929 739 Good Samaritan Hospital, 310-330 South Limestone; exterior (Mary A. Ott Memorial) 1929-01-29 534a Kaufman's Clothing Company; exterior, storefront; 135 West Main Street 1929-02-02 534b Kaufman's Clothing Company; exterior, storefront; 135 West Main Street 1929-02-02 538 Louisville Herald-Post; Lexington Motor Police being presented with check 1929-02-11 571a Lexington Laundry Company truck; in front of Morrison Hall, Transylvania University Campus 1929-03-06 571b Lexington Laundry Company car; in front of Morrison Hall, Transylvania University Campus 1929-03-06 489 Howard & Heafey, "Florists, Flowers for all Occasions" (Winchester Road beyond Loudon Avenue Road 4); exterior, greenhouses 1929-04-20 444 Home Economics Classroom 1929-04-25 433 Purcell, J.D. Company; exterior, window; 326, 327,328,329, 330 West Main Street; plaque reads: "Upon this site stood Lexington Fort, 1780; and later the market house in which convened the first Legislature of Kentucky, June 4, 1792." 1929-05-08 345a Berryman, C.H.; mare and foal 1929-05-11 345b Berryman, C.H.; mare and foal 1929-05-11 345c Berryman, C.H.; mare and foal 1929-05-11 345d Mare and foal 1929-05-11 345e Mare and foal 1929-05-11 345f Mare and foal 1929-05-11 431 Consolidated Lines (Consolidated Coach Corporation) bus number 401 1929-05-17 368a Central Fire Station, Lexington Fire Department; exterior, with truck 1929-06-14 368b Central Fire Station, Lexington Fire Department; exterior, with truck 1929-06-14 382a Fire Photos: scenes at Leet Brothers Furniture (Southern Bedding Company); fire scenes at barn 1929-06-16 382b Fire Photos: fire scenes at Leet Brothers Furniture Store; fire scenes at barn 1929-06-16 382c Fire Photos: fire scenes at Leet Brothers Furniture Store; fire scenes at barn 1929-06-16 382d Fire Photos: fire scenes at Leet Brothers Furniture Store; fire scenes at barn 1929-06-16 382e Fire Photos: fire scenes at Leet Brothers Furniture Store; fire scenes at barn 1929-06-16 406 Tafel Electric Company 564 West Main; Walker-Megown Company Hardware; 566, 567, 568 West Main Street; exterior of building 1929-06-21 254a Dixie Antique Shop; marble, griffin legged table 1929-08-10 254b Dixie Antique Shop; marble, griffin legged table 1929-08-10 254c Dixie Antique Shop; marble, griffin legged table 1929-08-10 254d Dixie Antique Shop; marble, griffin legged table 1929-08-10 264 Kentucky Coach Company; fair tents 1929-08-23 286 Texaco; Thompson Road, Old Frankfort Pike 1929-09-07 306 Kentucky Club Ginger Ale truck parked in front of stores on the side of East Main; John G. Epping Bottling Works; Thorpe's Tailoring Department, Keith's Bar and Chop House; Question Mark Cafe, 133 East Main Street 1929-09-28 342a Selman Department Store; exterior 1929-10-10 342b Selman Department Store; exterior 1929-10-10 324 Montgomery Ward; exterior, 230-232 East Main Street 1929-10-16 333 Piggly Wiggly; interior, produce display 1929-10-19 241a Fairbanks, Morse, & Company manufacturer; pump engine 1929-10-28 241b Fairbanks, Morse, & Company manufacturer; pump engine 1929-10-28 627 Montgomery Ward Company; exterior; 230-232 East Main 1929-11-06 214a Boy Scouts; group photo 1929-11-28 214b Boy Scouts; group photo 1929-11-28 213 Denton Company; Santa Claus 1929-11-29