Interview with Barkley Sturgill, May 9, 2007
Part of History of Kentucky's Community Colleges Oral History Project
- Interview with Barkley Sturgill, May 9, 2007
- Barkley Sturgill; interviewee. John Klee; interviewer.
- oral histories
- Publication date:
- Date uploaded:
- nterview with Barkley Sturgill, lawyer and politician who helped in the establishment of Big Sandy Community and Technical College. Interview begins by recounting early years in Prestonsburg and the role road construction played in opening up Eastern Kentucky. Highlights include his undergraduate time at the University of Kentucky and remembrances of friendships and time playing basketball under Adolph Rupp. Sturgill recounts his work with Governor Combs' gubernatorial campaign and vision to increase schooling opportunities and road infrastructure in Eastern Kentucky. Discusses the decision to place the community colleges under the auspices of the University of Kentucky and how this affected initial growth and funding of the campus. Concludes with discussion on how property was selected and purchased for the campus as well as early patrons of the college.
- Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries
- University of Kentucky
- Big Sandy Community and Technical College
- History of Kentucky's Community Colleges Oral History Project
- Metadata record:
- This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. Physical rights are retained by the owning repository. Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws. Please go to http://kdl.kyvl.org for more information.