Collections: 
0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Image 525 of Kentucky : a guide to the Bluegrass state

Part of Kentucky Works Progress Administration Publications

item | thumbnails | details | text | pdf
Download this image
A TOUR 1 6 409 b P later Governor of Kentucky (1851-55). The older part of the two- , story frame structure, designed in the Georgian Colonial style, has two d A huge square rooms on each floor that flank wide central halls. The p stairway, simply constructed of beautiful hardwood, is satin-smooth n Q through long usage. The side lights beside the paneled doors are of r. old glass. These doors have hand-wrought butterfly hinges and two re A of them have the original locks bearing the arms of William IV of y _ England. In 1857 two rooms of brick were added, one for a private 7, ‘ study and one for a bedroom. The slave quarters are still in the back z- yard. ms The P, ]. LAMBERT HoUsE, South Main St., built about 1830, has wrought-iron balustrades and balcony, and red-brick steps. re Sr: PAUL s EPISCOPAL CHURCH, corner of Center and Green Sts., of ar English Gothic design, is a copy of the famous old church at Stoke as ` Poges, England. The three stained-glass windows of the chancel, por- re j traying scenes from the life of St. Paul, were made in Holland. There L- are also several memorial windows and a tablet dedicated to Bishop ry V Channing Moore Williams, a native of Henderson, who built the hrst in ’ Protestant church m japan and with the Reverend john Liggins was the as hrst Protestant missionary in ]apan. ne A Henderson is at the junction with US 41 (see Tour 8). 1a SS Left from Henderson on State 54, a graveled road to the Gkmcoiw PLACE (L), 2.8 m., one of the oldest estates in the Pennyrile. Here, enclosed by an iron fence, is the Grmvn or GEN. SAMUEL HOPKINS, agent and attorney for Col. Richard Hen- lm derson and often called Henderson’s foster-father. ' On the WILLIAM D. LAMZBERT ld . ESTATE (R), 2.8 m., is a stately Georgian Colonial mansion built on a lofty hill gd overlooking miles of green fields and pleasant valleys. It is a massive, two-story as structure of red brick, with limestone trim; its lines are accentuated by the white- Irs ness of the woodwork and its proportions remain excellent despite several addi- tions. 5-, » At 157.8 m. is the junction with State 136, an improved road. m ja} Right on this road to GENEVA, 4 m.; R. here to INDIAN VALLEY FARM, 11 m., ng . established in 1840 by Haywood Alves, son of Walter Alves, an original grantee of -1 the Transylvania Company. Walter Alves and his wife Amelia Johnson Alves, O1 , whose share was one-eighth of the grant of 200,000 acres, left their miles of Ohio ns River frontage to their several children. Haywood, the second son, chose this site lgé opposite DIAMOND ISLAND. The Georgian Colonial house is brick, the main be · part two stories, with one-story wings. On the front of the house are deep French in _ windows and a square porch. Quantities of arrowheads and other artifacts have lm. been found on this farm which is a part of the Old Indian Valley, a favorite camp site of tribes on hunting trips into Kentucky and Tennessee. Shortlyafter 1800 HPS this site and Diamond Island were the rendezvous of the infamous Mason band, UH A and of Little Har e who joined Mason after Big Harpe had been beheaded (see p . ing ’ Tour 8). These land pirates preyed on travelers going down the Ohio River on IIS. . Hatboats. Fortesque Cuming told of stopping at beautiful Diamond Island in _ his Tour to the Western Country, published in 1810, and said that from 20 to 30 -1,; bandits lived there .... These pirates were finally driven out of the vicinity by a 11 ~ company of local “regulators." Diamond Island was approximately three miles md p long and a half mile wide in Mason’s day. It was covered with gigantic trees and