Back Thru The Wildcat Years
Four Years Ago
*For the first time in more than three decades Kentucky and Louisville met in a regular-season basketball game, with the 'Cats pulling out all stops to post a 65-44 win over the Cardinals at Rupp Arena. Jim Master and Melvin Turpin led the point parade with 19 and 16 points, respectively. The big news on this opening night, however, was the return of Sam Bowie, who hauled down a game-high 10 rebounds in his first action in more than two years following a recovery from a leg injury.
*Coaches of the Southeastern Conference continued to disagree on where the league's tournament should be held each yearat a neutral site or on a college campus. The recent issue was raised because Vanderbilt has been selected as the site for the 1984 tournament. Some coaches prefered the nine-game tourney to be played at Birmingham. The
tournament committee, meanwhile, voted to play the 1985 event back in Birmingham.
Eight Years Ago
*As expected, the Kentucky Wildcats had little trouble with visiting Baylor, routing the winless Bears 80^6. UK led 40-17 at the half and coach Joe B. Hall used his bench frequently. Ten Wildcats played more than 10 minutes and none more than 30. Baylor coach Jim Haller said UK "has the makings of one of the greatest teams America has ever had." Kyle Macy led UK with 17 points while Derrick Hord added 11 and Jay Shidler 10. Sam Bowie collected 12 rebounds.
*The Kentucky basketball team put it all together with a record-breaking 126-81 bombing of South Carolina, the worst defeat ever handed South Carolina coach Frank McGuire, who's retiring at the end of the season. "I'm not sure we can improve on our game," Joe Hall said afterwards. UK hit on
1 True or False? Louisville has never ilcleatetl Kentuek) in road uniforms (all red)
since the series was renewed in 1983.
2. U of L coach Denny Crum has won how many NCAA titles?
3. True or False? U of L has never beaten Kentucky in Rupp Arena.
4. What Louisville players tied for team-high scoring honors in last year's UK-U of L showdown?
5. How many players are on Louisville's roster from the Derby City?
6. True or False? Louisville didn't win a game in last year's Great Alaska Shootout.
7. Against which team did Kentucky score the most three-point goals last season?
d) Boston University
8. What Kentucky player pulled down 17 rebounds in last year's 85-51 win over Louisville?
a) Rob Lock
b) Richard Madison
c) Cedric Jenkins
d) None of the above
9. True or False? Denny Crum holds a series edge over Eddie Sutton-coached teams.
10) True or False? The Wildcats didn't have a winning record away from Rupp Arena during last year's 18-11 season.
(6-0, 3njl 01 fifllAXOUX w jvuoiSty isnapM 67 ui Suiiuoj Ajojjm tjuo sjoiuaui spinpuvj sui i/m 'sww pxpooo -uoims *>PP3 isumSD S-I s7 uaio) sspj (, uosiptm pjDipty $