Interview with Dr. Charles Hagyard, December 21 and 29, 1978
Part of Horse Industry in Kentucky Oral History Project
- Interview with Dr. Charles Hagyard, December 21 and 29, 1978
- Dr. Charles Hagyard; interviewee. Mary Jane Gallaher; interviewer.
- oral histories
- Publication date:
- Date uploaded:
- Dr. Charlie Hagyard was a veterinarian who followed in his family's tradition of veterinary practice and co-founded Hagyard-Davidson-McGee clinic in Lexington, KY in 1951. His grandfather, uncle and father founded the original practice, E. T. Hagyard Sons in 1876. In this interview, Hagyard discusses his early years as a veterinarian and some of his father's famous clients. He speaks about changes in equine reproduction, including more hygienic practices and the vet's role in ensuring breeding soundness in mares. His firm's training program for international young veterinarians is also discussed and Hagyard names several prominent vets who attended the program.
- Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries
- University of Kentucky
- Hagyard, Charles E., 1901-1995 -- Interviews, Veterinarians -- Interviews, Standardbred horse, Thoroughbred horse, Veterinarians, Horses--Breeding, Hagyard-Davidson-McGee Associates, Hagyard Equine Medical Institute, Walnut Hall Stock Farm (Ky.), Horses -- Reproduction -- History
- Horse Industry in Kentucky Oral History Project
- Metadata record:
- This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. Physical rights are retained by the owning repository. Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws. Please go to http://kdl.kyvl.org for more information.