Interview with Joseph Prather, July 6, 2006
Part of Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Interview with Joseph Prather, July 6, 2006
- Erik Tuttle; interviewer. Joseph Prather; interviewee.
- oral histories
- Publication date:
- Date uploaded:
- Prather (House 1968-1972, 26th district; Senate 1974-1986, 10th district; Democrat) discusses his education, going to school in a one-room schoolhouse, his real estate, auctioneering and banking businesses, how he got into politics. He compares the legislature he entered in 1968 to the legislature in 2006. Other topics include the committee system, interim committees, legislative independence, the decision to televise proceedings of the General Assembly, his philosophy of government, the difficulty of building political consensus, political partisanship, the impact of money on campaigning, the importance of education, the community college system, the University of Kentucky. He describes the relationship between the University of Kentucky and the state’s community colleges and remarks on the relationship between University of Kentucky athletics department and the legislature. He praises the Legislative Research Commission, discusses his opposition to regional factionalism, reflects on his relationship with Julian Carroll, explains his views on the ascendency of the Republican Party in Kentucky and the nation. He talks about lobbyists and the function they serve in the legislative process.
- Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries
- University of Kentucky
- Legislators -- Kentucky -- Interviews., Kentucky. General Assembly -- Committees., Kentucky. General Assembly -- Reform., Universities and colleges -- Administration -- Kentucky., Lobbyists -- Kentucky., Kentucky. Governor (1974-1979 : Carroll), Kentucky. Governor (1979-1983 : Brown), United States. Marine Fighter Squadron, 214th, Chandler, Happy, 1898-1991, Truman, Harry S., 1884-1972, Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969, Committees, interim committees, legislative independence, Kentucky Educational Television, bipartisanship, Education, University of Kentucky, Community colleges, Black Sheep Squadron, Brown, John Y. (John Young) Jr., 1933-, Singletary, Otis A., Wethington, Charles T., Legislative Research Commission (LRC), Carroll, Julian Morton, 1931-, Republican Party (U.S. : 1854- ), Lobbyists, Regionalism, Term/District: House (1968-1972), 26th district; Senate (1974-1986),10th district, Leadership Position(s): Senate Assistant President Pro Tem, 1976-1986, Counties in District: Hardin County (Ky.) -- Larue County (Ky.)
- Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Metadata record:
- This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. Physical rights are retained by the owning repository. Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws. Please go to http://kdl.kyvl.org for more information.