Interview with Arthur L. Schmidt, November 18, 2003
Part of Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Interview with Arthur L. Schmidt, November 18, 2003
- Arthur L. Schmidt; interviewee. Eric Moyen; interviewer.
- oral histories
- Publication date:
- Date uploaded:
- Schmidt (House 1964; 1968-1982, 69th district; Senate 1984-1992, 11th district; Republican) recaps his previous discussion regarding his work with Louie B. Nunn to establish Northern Kentucky University and the politics surrounding funding for higher education. Schmidt reflects on the leadership style of Julian Carroll, describes vying for the Minority Caucus Chair position in 1970, the impact of the tax increase approved during Nunn’s administration on future Republican leadership. He compares duties of the Minority Caucus Chair and the Minority Whip, and explains how decisions are made within the leadership. Schmidt recounts some of the joke bills he introduced, talks about his relationship with Governor John Y. Brown, Jr., his work on the 1984 budget, his move from the House to the Senate, differences between serving in the House and the Senate, his opposition to Senate Bill 169 (teachers' aides), the Kentucky Education Reform Act (KERA), and the Toyota legislation. Schmidt details his experience in the BOPTROT scandal, describes the redistricting process, and reflects on his last day of service in the legislature. He closes the interview talking about his most important votes, his retirement, his family. Part 2 of 2.
- Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries
- University of Kentucky
- Legislators -- Kentucky -- Interviews., Educational change -- Kentucky., Kentucky. General Assembly. House., Kentucky. General Assembly. Senate., Kentucky. General Assembly -- Officials and employees -- Discipline., Kentucky. Governor (1967-1971 : Nunn), Kentucky. Governor (1971-1974 : Ford), Kentucky. Governor (1974-1979 : Brown), Kentucky. Governor (1991-1995 : Jones), Kentucky. Governor (1995-2003 : Patton, Carroll, Julian M. (Julian Morton), 1931-, Brown, John Y. (John Young) Jr., 1933-, Jones, Brereton, Kentucky. Education Reform Act (1990), Patton, Paul E., 1937-, Northern Kentucky University, Nunn, Louie B., 1924-, Young Republican National Federation (U.S.), Gambling, Baker, Walter, 1937-, Kentucky. General Assembly. Legislative Research Commission., Ford, Wendell H., 1924-, Kentucky Educational Television, Reagan, Ronald, Moloney, Michael R., Mann, Terry L., Regionalism, Karem, David K., Apportionment (Election law), Education Committee, Middleton, Clyde, DeMarcus, Harold, sales tax legislation, Smith, Al, Kenton, Bill (Boom Boom), Stovall, Thelma, Harris, Damien, legislative independence, highways legislation, Beshear, Steve, Senate Bill 169 (teachers' aides), Lundergan, Jerry, Toyota Manufacturing (Georgetown, Ky.), BOPTROT, Crupper, Clay, redistricting, Meyer, Joe, Atkins, George, Kentucky Education Reform Act (KERA), Legislative Research Commission (LRC), Toyota, Term/District: House (1964, 1968-1982), 69th district; Senate (1984-1992), 11th district, Leadership Position(s): House Minority Caucus Chair, 1970 -- House Minority Whip, 1972-1974, 1979 -- House Minority Floor Leader, 1980-1982 -- Senate Minority Caucus Chair, 1992, Counties in District: Campbell County (Ky.) -- Pendleton County (Ky.) -- Bracken County (Ky.) -- Kenton County (Ky.) -- Boone County (Ky.)
- Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Metadata record:
- This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. Physical rights are retained by the owning repository. Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws. Please go to http://kdl.kyvl.org for more information.