ExploreUK is getting a new design. Try the beta site!

UK HOME

ExploreUK home

Collections: 
0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

13 > Image 13 of Annual report. 1924

Part of Kentucky Agricultural Experiment Station

Kentucky Agricultural Experiment Statiout 7 Robinson Substation. The Robinson Substation, estab- lished on a tract of approximately fifteen thousand acres of . land in Breathitt, Perry and Knott counties, was deeded to the University in October, 1923, for the conduct of agricultural experiment work and for the practical demonstration of re- forestation. These lands were donated by Mr. E. O. Robinson l of Fort Thomas, Kentucky, accepted by the legislature of 1924, V and a sub experiment station established thereon in accordance with an act introduced by Honorable VV. J. Howard. ln l\lay, 1924, the property holdings of the University of Kentucky were augmented by a deed to ten acres of land com- , prising practically the entire town site of Quieksand, in which are located the headquarters and other buildings of thc sub- station and which forms the entrance to the larger holdings. This was the gift of Mr. Miles Back of Quicksand, Kentucky, who "desired to give this land to be of benefit to the people of the mountain districts of Kentucky." The lands of the Robinson Substation are somewhat scat- tered, altho approximately fourteen thousand acres lie in one T body, principally on Buekhorn Creek, ("lemon`s, (`oles and , Lewis forks. This area has the characteristic topography of L large parts of eastern Kentucky. The altitudes are relatively * low, approximating one thousand to twelve hundred feet. The topography is characterized by steep hillsides or ridges and T narrow valleys, the ridges rising from 300 to 500 feet above the valley floors. The soils are derived from sandstone for- mation. These lands have been logged off during the past fifteen years, a large part of the acreage having been logged within the past six or seven years. The original timber growth on the land consisted largely of yellow poplar, white oak, hemlock, red oak, red maple, hard maple and some beech. The crest of the ridges grew some yellow and black pine and yellow poplar, much of which, however, was cut out many years ago. As a whole. this area may be considered typical of the many sections of eastern Kentucky and therefore the results obtained either in forestry or agriculture may be applied to a very large area of the state.