Processed by: Archives Staff ; machine-readable finding aid created by:Eric Weig
Blue Licks Battlefield papers
University of Kentucky Special CollectionsLexington, Kentucky 40506
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], Blue Licks Battlefield papers, 1774-1946, 1M51W8, Special Collections, University of Kentucky.
1.6 cubic ft
Battlefield. Blue Licks is the site of a mineral spring which has attracted men and animals from prehistoric times to the present. The battle of Blue Licks took place during the Revolutionary War. It was fought in Kentucky on August 19, 1792, between a group of British-Canadian Indians, and a small group of Kentucky pioneers. The conflict, frequently termed the last battle of the Revolution, resulted in a crushing defeat of the pioneers with great loss of life. It was commemorated with a centennial celebration in 1882. In 1926 a Blue Licks Battlefield Monument Commission was created by the Kentucky General Assembly, appointed by the governor, and chaired by Judge Samuel Wilson.
These papers, which are concerned with the Battle of Blue Licks, detail Judge Samuel Wilson's research on the battle and history of Blue Licks. The collection includes correspondence, programs and accounts of the battlefield celebrations. It also includes copies of speeches, research notes and lists of Indian artifacts, fossils, including bones and footptints of mastodons, found in excavations at the Blue Licks. Among the papers is a holographic transcription of land grants, surveys, deeds, and depositions dating from 1774. It is thought that this transcription was made in connection with litigation involving ownership of the Blue Licks, which was decided in the Kentucky Court of Appeals in 1829.
These materials provide insight into the Revolutionary War battle of Blue Licks, susequent celebrations of the event, history of legal title to land in the area, and historic and prehistoric patterns of subsistence in which the nearby mineral springs played a part. Information is also provided on the Blue Licks Monument Commission.
Copyright has not been assigned to the University of Kentucky.