Collections: 
0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Image 42 of 1965 Kentuckian Centennial Year

Part of University of Kentucky Yearbook Collection

item | thumbnails | details | text | pdf
Download this image
Part of the June parade in 1917 was a co-ed float featuring Dutch costumes and windmill. Weekends Are Key to Student Life In 1951, it was decided that the section of Euclid Avenue, between Lime and Rose Streets would be known as the Avenue of Champions in honor of the UK basketball and football teams. The new Journalism Building was dedicated in this year also, by which the Kernel and the Kentuckian found a permanent home. The administration announced in 1952 that all sororities and fraternities must maintain a 1.3 average or lose social privileges. Physical education courses were given credit for the first time. The card section which cheered during UK football games was abandoned in 1954. 1955 was another year for buildings. Donovan Hall, a men's dormitory, was completed, Keeneland Hall was dedicated, and the building of a sorority row and Holmes Hall was authorized. In the spring of 1956 University President H. L. Donovan announced that he would retire and Dr. Frank L. Dickey became the new president. Student enrollment was then at an all time high of 7,000 students. Election year found President Dwight D. Eisenhower campaigning for the Presidency on the UK campus. Plans were made that year for the first Little Kentucky Derby. The Board of Trustees approved the purchase of Colstream Farm and Dr. Doris Seward became Dean of Women in 1957. In the spring of 1958 the Wildcats, under Coach Adolph Rupp won the NCAA basketball championship for the fourth time. The fall of 1958 saw the Kentucky "Kernel" change to a daily newspaper. Research facilities were further expanded with the purchase of Spindletop Farm in 1959. The Alpha Delta Pi sisters were part of the winning float in the Push Cart Derby weekend of 1954. Lances Carnival, an annual all-campus party until it was discontinued in 1957, featured varied costumes and a unique band in the 1952 version. 38