ExploreUK is getting a new design. Try the beta site!


ExploreUK home

0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

4 > Page 4 of Battle and massacre at Frenchtown, Michigan, January, 1813 / by Rev. Thomas P. Dudley, one of the survivors.

A KIND INDIAN. put them on my feet, Having reached i Stony Cieek, live miles from the bat- tle ground, where the Brit- ish and Indians camped the night before the battle of the 22d of January, their camp fires were still burning, and many had stopped with their prisoners to warm. In a short time I discovered some commotion among them. An Indian toma- hawked Ebenezer Blythe, of Lexington. Immediately the Indian who had taken me 1 resumed his march, and soon overtook his father, v. hom I understood to be an old chief. They stopped by the roadside, and directed me to a seat on a log and proceeded topaint me. We reached Brownstown about sundown in the evening, when having a small ear of corn A e placed it in the fire for a short time, and then made our supper on it. A blanket was spread on bark in front of the fire, and I pointed to lie down. My captor finding my neck and shoulder so stiff that I could not get my bead back, immedi- ately took some of his plunder and placed under my head and covered me with a blanket. Many Indians, with several pris- oners, came into the council house after- ward, and they employed themselves dress- mg, in hoops, the scalps of our troops. There was the severest thunder storm that night witnessed at that time of the year. The water ran under the blanket, and the ground being lower in the centre around the fire, I awoke some time before day and found my- self lying in the water, possibly two iches deep, got up and dried myself as well as I could. About daybreak they resumed their march toward Detroit, stopping on the way and painting me again. We reached Detroit about 3 o'clock in the afternoon, and as we passed along the street, a number of women approached us, and entreated the Indians not to kill me. Passing on, we met two British officers on horseback, and stopped and chatted with the Indians, ex- ulting with them in the victory, to whom the women appealed in mv behalf, but they paid no more regard to me than if I had been a dog. I passed the night with the Indians at the house of a white woman in the city, who the next morning asked lib- erty to give me a cup of tea, with a. loaf of bread and butter. In the afternoon the Indians paraded with their prisoners and the trophies, scoip, and marched to the fort. After remaining some time in the guard-house, where all the prisoners were suriendered but myself, my captors arose to leave with me. When we reached the door the guard stopped me. which seemed to excite the Indians considerably. Major Muir, commanding the fort, was immediate- ly called for, and entered into a treaty for myt release. It was said he gave as a ran- som for me an old broken down nack horse and a keg of whisky. My Indian captor took affectionate leave of me, with a promise to see me again. Let me here say my Indian captor exhibited more the principle of the man and the soldier than all the British I had been brought in contact with up to the time I met Major Muir. The next day the British officers, Hale and Watson, invited me to mess with them so long as I remained in the fort. . Three or four days afterward and the day before our officers, Winchester, Madison and Lewis, were to leave for the Niagtra nver, one of these officers accompanied me across the Detroit river to tiandwich. When passing to the hotel where they were, when I became op- posite the dining-room door, I saw Major Madison sitting down to supper. The temptation was so strong I entered the door, to the astonishment of the Major and other officers, who supposed 1 had been murdered with many other prisoners. I am con- strained to acknowledge the great mercy of God in my preservation thus far. On the following morning, when arrangements were being made for transportation of officers to Fort George, but none for me, my heart felt like sinking within me at the thought of being left to the care of those I had no confidence whatever in. Providen- tially a Canadian lieutenant was listening and as soon as all, both British and Ameri- can officers, left the room, nobly came to me and said: "I have a good span of horses and a good carryall. You are welcome to a seat with me." I joyfully accepted his offer, and I herebv acknowledge that I met in his person a whole-souled man and soldier, through whose kindness, mainly, I reached Niagara river. When I was once more per- mitted to look on that much loved flag of our country, and paroled and put across the INiaeara liver on American soil, then, with all the suffering, I felt that I could once more breathe freely. I have again to ac- knowledge the goodness of God, in provid- ing for reaching my home and friends, after travelinz more than 1,000 miles, badly woundcd, a half-ounce ball buried in my shoulder. But I lived to be fully avenged upon the enemies of my country in the bat- tle of the 8tb of January, 1915, below New Orleans. I have omitted many minor in- cidents that were in this communication, the writing of which has given great pain in mv wounded shoulder. THOMAS P. DUDLEY. Lexington, Ky., Jfay 26, 1870. 4