Interview with W. Terry McBrayer, July 26, 2006
Part of Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Interview with W. Terry McBrayer, July 26, 2006
- Roy Salmons; interviewer. W. Terry McBrayer; interviewee.
- oral histories
- Publication date:
- Date uploaded:
- In his fourth interview, McBrayer (House 1966-70, 76th district; 1971-1972, 98th district; Democrat) begins by continuing the thread of discussion with work ethic and welfare, tying it in to his own early law experiences. He also discusses his love of outdoor recreation, and wildlife regulations before the topic swings back to the legislature. Issues include environmentalism, rising fuel costs, problems in the Fletcher administration, the drain of young people from Eastern Kentucky, serving in leadership positions as a young legislator, and political aspirations after stepping down from the legislature. The interview concludes with McBrayer's account of serving as chair of the Democratic Party during Patton's candidacy, serving as Bill Clinton's authorized representative in Kentucky during both election campaigns, Hillary Clinton's run for the presidency, and advice to future legislators. Part 4 of 4.
- Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries
- University of Kentucky
- Legislators -- Kentucky -- Interviews., Work ethic., Wildlife-related recreation industry -- Kentucky., Environmentalism., Brain drain -- Kentucky., Kentucky. Governor (1974-1979 : Carroll), Kentucky. Governor (1995-2003 : Patton), Kentucky. Governor (2003-2007 : Fletcher), Ford, Wendell, Carroll, Julian, Clinton, Bill, Clinton, Hillary, Fletcher, Ernie, Patton, Paul, Foster, Vince, Commissioner of Commerce, Democratic Party (Chair), NATO, work ethic, welfare, pro bono work, wildlife regulations, brain drain, environmentalism, fuel costs, health care expenses, leadership, Kentucky Governor, candidacy, Term and District: House (1966-1970), 76th district; (1971-1972), 98th district, Leadership Position(s): Speaker Pro Tem, 1968 -- House Majority Floor Leader, 1970
- Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Metadata record:
- This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. Physical rights are retained by the owning repository. Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws. Please go to http://kdl.kyvl.org for more information.