Interview with Freed Curd, September 12, 2003
Part of Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Interview with Freed Curd, September 12, 2003
- Eric Moyen; interviewer. Freed Curd; interviewee.
- oral histories
- Publication date:
- Date uploaded:
- Curd (House 1980-1998, 5th district; Democrat) discusses his childhood in rural communities on both sides of the Tennessee/Western Kentucky border, military service, education at Murray State University, and his background as a high school teacher and principal. He goes on to cover his impressions of several governors, lobbyists, funding for Murray State University projects, education reform, tax increases, the used car industry, the community college system, legislative independence, and the BOPTROT scandal. Curd also discusses his role as mayor of Murray (Ky.) after his retirement from the legislature.
- Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries
- University of Kentucky
- Legislators -- Kentucky -- Interviews., Teachers -- Kentucky -- Biography., Mayors -- Kentucky -- Murray -- Biography., Murray State University., Educational change -- Kentucky., Used cars -- Kentucky., Kentucky. General Assembly -- Officials and employees -- Discipline., Kentucky. Governor (1979-1983 : Brown), Kentucky. Governor (1983-1987 : Collins), Kentucky. Governor (1987-1991 : Wilkinson), Kentucky. Governor (1991-1995 : Jones), Kentucky. Education Reform Act (1990), Wethington, Charles T., Jr., 1936 T., Jr., 1936, Patton, Paul, Medical laws and legislation, Brown, John Y. Jr., Collins, Martha Layne, Wilkinson, Wallace G., Jones, Brereton, Blandford, Donald J., Clarke, Joe, Stumbo, Grady, Richards, Jody, Wethington,, Education Committee (Chair), Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), Toyota Manufacturing (Georgetown, Ky.), Murray State University, University of Kentucky, Kentucky Education Reform Act (KERA), military service, Teaching, Basketball, Segregation, party factions, campaigning, legislative independence, Lobbyists, education reform, political bargaining, Community colleges, State universities and colleges, BOPTROT, ethics legislation, healthcare legislation, Home schooling, limestone rock export tax bill, House (1980-1998), 5th district, Calloway County (Ky.) -- Trigg County (Ky.)
- Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Metadata record:
- This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. Physical rights are retained by the owning repository. Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws. Please go to http://kdl.kyvl.org for more information.