D. President's Report to the Board of Trustees (PR 1)
President Wethington called attention to the following items in PR 1:
1. The U.S. News and World Report ranks UK College of Medicine
third among primary care medical programs in the United States.
2. UK ranks seventh in the nation for National Merit Scholars.
3. Lexington Community College's Dental Laboratory Technology
Program earned first place in the nation with an 85 percent class
average on the Recognized Graduate Examination, according to the
National Board for Certification.
4. Paducah Community College has received a $1 million unrestricted
gift from the estate of the late Joseph Rosenfield, Paducah
businessman and long-time supporter of the college.
5. Alfred D. Shapere, assistant professor of physics, has become the
second faculty member in two years in UK's physics and astronomy
department to win a $30,000 Sloan Research Fellowship.
6. The Thomas D. Clark Foundation has received two $100,000
challenge grants, one from philanthropist Lucille Caudill Little and
another from Ashland, Inc.
7. Five alumni have been inducted into the UK College of Business
and Economics Hall of Fame: Kim Hatch Burse, Paul Chellgren,
Carol Martin Gatton, Joel Charles Gordon, and Joseph Logan
President Wethington asked the members to read the other items in
the report at their leisure.
E. Personnel Actions (PR 2)
President Wethington recommended that approval be given to the
appointments, actions and/or other staff changes which require Board action;
and that the report relative to appointments and/or changes already
approved by the administration be accepted. Mrs. Bell moved approval. Her
motion, seconded by Mr. Chellgren, carried. (See PR 2 at the end of the