Interview with Joseph Prather, August 8, 1988
Part of Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Interview with Joseph Prather, August 8, 1988
- David Breaux; interviewer. Joseph Prather; interviewee.
- oral histories
- Publication date:
- Date uploaded:
- Prather (House 1968-1972, 26th district; Senate 1974-1986, 10th district; Democrat) discusses his time in the House and Senate and the evolution of the legislature during his tenure in the General Assembly. Interview highlights Louie B. Nunn's successful passage of sales tax legislation, and the gubernatorial styles of Kentucky governors Nunn, Ford, Collins and Brown. Prather compares the pros and cons of strong legislatures and strong governors.
- Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries
- University of Kentucky
- Legislators -- Kentucky -- Interviews., Kentucky. General Assembly -- Reform., Kentucky. Governor (1967-1971 : Nunn), Kentucky. Governor (1971-1974 : Ford), Kentucky. Governor (1979-1983 : Brown), Kentucky. Governor (1983-1987 : Collins), Ford, Wendell, Carroll, Julian, Nunn, Louie B., Collins, Martha Layne, Fleming, Jim, Legislative Research Commission (LRC), Brown, John Y. Jr., legislative independence, interim committees, Rules Committee, Term/District: House (1968-1972), 26th district; Senate (1974-1986), 10th district, Leadership Position(s): House Majority Whip, 1970; Senate President Pro Tem, 1976-1986, Counties in District: Hardin County (Ky.) -- Larue County (Ky.) -- Bullitt County (Ky.)
- Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Metadata record:
- This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. Physical rights are retained by the owning repository. Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws. Please go to http://kdl.kyvl.org for more information.