Interview with Charles Gregory Higdon, July 27, 2006
Part of Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Interview with Charles Gregory Higdon, July 27, 2006
- Catherine Herdman; interviewer. Charles Gregory Higdon; interviewee.
- oral histories
- Publication date:
- Date uploaded:
- Higdon (Senate 1981-1991, 1st district; Democrat) talks about life in Fancy Farm, Kentucky, his Catholic upbringing, military service, and the annual Fancy Farm Picnic. He discusses early impressions of Frankfort as a new senator, serving on committees, campaigning, serving under several administrations, legislation for education reform, natural resources, infrastructure, and the lottery. He concludes the interview with a review of his duties as co-secretary of the for the Kentucky Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Cabinet under Governor Jones, and changes in the legislature since his retirement.
- Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries
- University of Kentucky
- Legislators -- Kentucky -- Interviews., Political campaigns -- Kentucky., Educational change -- Kentucky., Natural resources -- Law and legislation -- Kentucky., Kentucky Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Cabinet., Kentucky. Governor (1979-1983 : Brown), Kentucky. Governor (1983-1987 : Collins), Kentucky. Governor (1987-1991 : Wilkinson), Kentucky. Governor (1991-1995 : Jones), Kentucky. Education Reform Act (1990), Kentucky. General Assembly. Legislative Research Commission., Fancy Farm (Ky.), Paducah (Ky.), Frankfort (Ky.), Vietnam War, 1961-1975., Shepherd, Phillip, Brown, John Y. Jr., Collins, Martha Layne, Wilkinson, Wallace G., Jones, Brereton, Fancy Farm Picnic, Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee (Chair), Banking and Insurance Committee, Kentucky Education Reform Act (KERA), Kentucky Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Cabinet (Co-secretary), Legislative Research Committee (LRC), Catholicism, military service, stump speeches, campaigning, education reform, Educational change, legislative independence, Lobbyists, Regionalism, lottery, Roads, Japan, annual sessions, Term/District: Senate (1981-1991), 1st district, Counties in District: Calloway County (Ky.) – Carlisle County (Ky.) – Hickman County (Ky.) – Fulton County (Ky.) – Graves County (Ky.) – Trigg County (Ky.)
- Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Metadata record:
- This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. Physical rights are retained by the owning repository. Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws. Please go to http://kdl.kyvl.org for more information.