Interview with James Bruce, September 12, 2003
Part of Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Interview with James Bruce, September 12, 2003
- Eric Moyen; interviewer. James Bruce; interviewee.
- oral histories
- Publication date:
- Date uploaded:
- Bruce (House 1964-2004, 9th district; Democrat) recalls his childhood and college experiences in eastern Tennessee before coming to Kentucky. He reflects on his 40 years in the House, including his impressions of several governors, legislators and leaders, key legislation in banking and transportation, his philosophy of government, his wife's role in advancing his career as legislator, and the move towards legislative independence.
- Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries
- University of Kentucky
- Legislators -- Kentucky -- Interviews., Kentucky. General Assembly -- Reform., Tennessee., Banking law -- Kentucky., Transportation -- Law and legislation -- Kentucky., Kentucky. Governor (1967-1971 : Nunn), Kentucky. Governor (1971-1974 : Ford), Kentucky. Governor (1974-1979 : Carroll), Kentucky. Governor (1979-1983 : Brown), Kentucky. Governor (1983-1987 : Collins), Kentucky. Governor (1987-1991 : Wilkinson), Kentucky. Education Reform Act (1990), Janie, Breathitt, Edward T., 1924-, Nunn, Louie B. 1924-2004., Ford, Wendell H., 1924-, Carroll, Julian M. (Julian Morton), 1931-, Brown, John Y. (John Young) Jr., 1933-, Collins, Martha Layne, Wilkinson, Wallace G., Stumbo, Greg, Luckett, Pam, Blandford, Donald J., Blume, Norbert (Norb), Banking and Insurance Committee (Chair), Transportation Committee (Chair), Kentucky Education Reform Act (KERA), Ashland Oil, inc., campaigning, office space for legislators, legislative independence, ethics legislation, banking legislation, Civil rights, sales tax legislation, Property tax, transportation legislation, BOPTROT, Lobbyists, bipartisanship, Migrant workers, Key Legislation: Kentucky Education Reform Act (KERA); interstate banking bill (1984); Kentucky Civil Rights Bill; sales tax increase (1968), Term/District: House (1964-2004), 9th district, Counties in District: Christian County (Ky.) – Hopkins County (Ky.)
- Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Metadata record:
- This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. Physical rights are retained by the owning repository. Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws. Please go to http://kdl.kyvl.org for more information.