Interview with Joe Barrows, August 18, 2006
Part of Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Interview with Joe Barrows, August 18, 2006
- Christy Bohl; interviewer. Joe Barrows; interviewee.
- oral histories
- Publication date:
- Date uploaded:
- Barrows (House, 1980-2006; Democrat) talks about his family, growing up on a farm, his education, being in college during Vietnam War, college life in the 1960's, the civil rights movement as manifested in Woodford County, his work with the Legislative Research Commission, his work for Vic Hellard, his motivation to run for office and his first campaign. He discusses his philosophy of campaigning, his involvement with the Young Turks, block voting, the role of lobbyists, BOPTROT. He details his involvement with the budgeting process, the evolution of the legislature during his 26 years of service, the evolution of his constituents' needs, and the effect of public service on his family. Interview ends abruptly.
- Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries
- University of Kentucky
- Legislators -- Kentucky -- Interviews., Kentucky. Governor (1983-1987 : Collins), Educational change -- Kentucky., Lobbyists -- Kentucky., War and society., Civil rights movement -- United States. Political campaigns -- Kentucky., Apportionment (Election law), Agriculture, Kenton, William G., Ittihat ve Terakki Cemiyeti, General Assembly (House, 1980-2006 : Democrat), Woodford County (Ky.), Jessamine County (Ky.), Fayette County (Ky.), Franklin County (Ky.), House Majority Whip, farming, Vietnam War, Civil rights Movement, Hellard, Vic, Kenton, Bill (Boom Boom), Richardson, Bobby H., Blandford, Donald J., Education, redistricting (1996), Legislative Research Commission (LRC), campaigning, Young Turks, Freshman Caucus (1980), LeMaster, Jim, Budgets, block voting, Lobbyists, BOPTROT, Flynn's Restaurant, Collins, Martha Layne, Term/District: House, (1980-2006) 56th district, Leadership Position(s): Senate Majority Whip. 1998-2006, Counties in District: Woodford County (Ky.) -- Jessamine County (Ky.) -- Franklin Counth (Ky.) -- Fayette County (Ky.)
- Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Metadata record:
- This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. Physical rights are retained by the owning repository. Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws. Please go to http://kdl.kyvl.org for more information.