Interview with George Schwert, October 22, 1985
Part of University of Kentucky Medical Center Oral History Project
- Interview with George Schwert, October 22, 1985
- George Schwert; interviewee. Richard C. Smoot; interviewer.
- oral histories
- Publication date:
- Date uploaded:
- Dr. George Schwert (Chairman of Biochemistry 1959-1974) discusses the events that led up to his appointment by Dr. Bill Willard as the Chairman of Biochemistry at the University of Kentucky. Other topics include the role of different presidents of the University of Kentucky, especially Otis Singletary, Jack Oswald and Frank Dickey. Also speaks about the early philosophy of the Medical Center and Medical School at the time of their creation. Dr. Schwert talks in some detail about the support given to the Medical Center and Medical School by Governors Chandler and Combs and the relative indifference by Governor Nunn.
- Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries
- University of Kentucky
- University of Kentucky. College of Medicine -- History, University of Kentucky. Medical Center -- History, Hospital buildings -- Design and construction, University of Kentucky -- Presidents, Schwert, George W. (George William), 1919- -- Interviews, Community Health Services -- Kentucky, Medicine -- Study and teaching (Continuing education) -- Social aspects, Social medicine, Rural health -- Kentucky, Medical Care, Cost of, Kentucky. General Assembly, Chandler, Happy, 1898-1991, Kentucky. Governor (1959-1963 : Combs), Dickey, Frank Graves, Oswald, John W. (John Wieland), 1917-1995, Willard, William R., 1908-
- University of Kentucky Medical Center Oral History Project
- Metadata record:
- This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. Physical rights are retained by the owning repository. Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws. Please go to http://kdl.kyvl.org for more information.