Processed by: Archives Staff ; machine-readable finding aid created by:Eric Weig
East Hickman Baptist Church and Marble Creek Church records
University of Kentucky Special CollectionsLexington, Kentucky 40506
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], East Hickman Baptist Church and Marble Creek Church records, 1781-1842, 1M75M5, Special Collections, University of Kentucky.
.1 cu. ft.
East Hickman Baptist Church was established in rural Fayette County, Ky. in 1787 under the leadership of the elders George Stokes Smith and Ambrose Dudley. From 1787 to 1802 it was known as Marble Creek Church, but on the erection of a new building in the East Hickman area in 1802, the church was renamed. The church was a member of the Elkhorn Association of Baptists from 1787 to 1810, the Licking Association of Baptists from 1810 to 1837, and in the latter year rejoined the Elkhorn Association.
The records are transcribed copies of minutes and other records of this Fayette County church. Material consists of a bound carbon copy of a typed transcription apparently prepared by the Bryan Station Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Included are church membership records and minutes reflecting official actions of the church. These frequently relate to charges of misconduct and notes on expulsion. Also of interest are records of black church members who formed a sizable portion of the membership, initially as slaves of the white members, and later as free men and women.