ExploreUK is getting a new design. Try the beta site!


ExploreUK home

0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

831 > Page 831 of History of Daviess County, Kentucky, together with sketches of its cities, villages, and townships, educational religious, civil military, and political history, portraits of prominent persons, biographies of representative citizens, and an outline history of Kentucky.

VANOVER PRECINCT. Baptist Church. The Bristowites bitterly opposed the missionary work adopted by the Panther Creek church. They also believed in the practice of feet-washing, and did not believe in a paid min- istry. Those were the main points of difference between them. and the mother church. Several other congregations have been organized, and they call themselves the original Green River Association. The Little Flock congregation was organized about the year 1847, with six or eight members, by Revs. James Samples, Jasper Bristow and William Hendricks. They first worshiped in private houses, but soon built a small log cabin near where the present one now stands. It burned down several years ago, and they then built the present house, which is a small hewed-log building. There are now sixty-three members; services the first Sunday in each month, and the Saturday previous, by the Pastor, Rev. James B. Baughn. Atount Plea8ant Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organ- ized Aug. 17, 1844, in the Sand Spring school-house on the John Moseley land, by Revs. L. C. Philips and Joseph Weaver, with twenty-three members; seven of these members had been members of the old Camp-Ground Cumberland Presbyterian Church, long since discontinued, namely: William Hansford, John Moseley, James Little, William Little, Mary Chapman, Frances Lashbrook and Frances Crabtree. The last-named is the only one living of the original seven. This church was first called the Sand Spring Cumberland Presbyterian Church, taking its name from the school- house, in which it was organized, which took its name from a large sand spring near by. They worshiped in this house a few years, when, with the aid of the citizens, they built a hewed-log house, 24x 30 feet, on Union Hill, where the new Methodist church now stands, and was used by them until 1868, when they built the present structure, one half mile north of the old one, on the land of C. M. Rubv. At the time of the dedication of this church the name was changed to Mount Pleasant. They had no regular Pastor until October, 1845, when Rev. Joseph Weaver was called and had charge of the church until 1854. The Pastors that have since served are as follows: Revs. W. 0. Smith, from 1859 to 1861; Charles Gates, 1863 to 1865; J. C. Crabtree, 1865 to 1867; Charles Gates, 1867 to 1870; J. C. Armstrong, a short time during 1871; Charles Gates, 1871 to 1873; C. C. Boswell, 4873 to 1878; W. S. Casky, 1878 to 1879; Willis Smith, 1879 to the present time. The 831