Interview with Jim Callahan, May 17, 2004
Part of Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Interview with Jim Callahan, May 17, 2004
- Eric Moyen; interviewer. Jim Callahan; interviewee.
- oral histories
- Publication date:
- Date uploaded:
- Callahan (House 1987-2004, 67th district; Democrat) recalls his former experience as mayor of Southgate, Kentucky and how that prepared him for the legislature, his entrance into the legislature during the 1987 special session on workers' compensation, and the importance of having public service experience before going into a position in the House or Senate. He discusses key legislation in postsecondary education, his impressions of several governors, his views on the lottery and casino gambling, the BOPTROT scandal, diversity within the Democratic Party, and his role as the Majority Caucus Chair (1998-2004).
- Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries
- University of Kentucky
- Legislators -- Kentucky -- Interviews., Mayors -- Kentucky -- Southgate -- Biography., Postsecondary education -- Kentucky., Lotteries -- Kentucky -- Law and legislation., Kentucky. Governor (1983-1987 : Collins), Kentucky. Governor (1987-1991 : Wilkinson), Kentucky. Governor (1991-1995 : Jones), Kentucky. Governor (1995-2003 : Patton), Wilder (Ky.), Southgate (Ky.), Newport (Ky.), Northern Kentucky, Collins, Martha Layne, Wilkinson, Wallace, Jones, Brereton, Patton, Paul, Donnermeyer, Bill, Blandford, Don, Wethington, Charles, Northern Kentucky University, Cities Committee, Gateway Community and Technical College, University of Kentucky, public service, lottery, casino gambling, Democratic Party, moral issues, constituent concerns, BOPTROT, ethics legislation, healthcare legislation, postsecondary education, community college system, fundamentalism, Republican Party, Term and District: House (1987-2004), 67th district, Leadership Position: House Majority Caucus Chair, 1996-2004, Counties in District: Campbell County (Ky.)
- Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Metadata record:
- This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. Physical rights are retained by the owning repository. Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws. Please go to http://kdl.kyvl.org for more information.