Collections: 
0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Image 8 of Catalogue of the Officers, Studies, and Students of the State College of Kentucky, Lexington, Volume 4 (Session ending 1902 June 5)

Part of University of Kentucky course catalogs, 1865-

item | thumbnails | details | text | pdf
Download this image
4 STATE COLLEGE or KENTUCKY. with Louisville, Cincinnati, Maysville, and Chattanooga, and with more than seventy counties of the Commonwealth. And when the six pro- jected interurban railways are completed, their numerous daily trains will enable students to attend the College from their homes as far as twenty miles away. GROUNDS. The campus of the College consists of fifty-two acres of land, located within the corporate limits of Lexington. The South Limestone Street electric car line extends along the greater part of its western border, giving opportunity to reach in a few minutes any part of the city. The campus is laid out in walks, drives, and lawns, and is planted with a choice variety of native and exotic trees and shrubs, to which additions ` are constantly being made. A portion of the land has recently been reserved for a botanical garden, in which will be grown the most desir- able native plants, with a view to testing their adaptability to cultiva- tion and to give increased facilities to students taking agricultural and biological courses. Two and a half acres, forming the northeast portion of the campus, inclosed and provided with a grand stand, is devoted to the field sports of students. About three quarters of a mile south of the campus, on the Nich- olasville pike, an extension of South Limestone Street, is the Experi- ment Station Farm, consisting of two hundred and three acres, to which sixty-four and a half acres have been added by recent purchase. Here the field experiments of the Station are conducted, and students have , opportunities to witness tests of varieties of field crops, dairy tests, fertilizer tests, fruit-spraying tests; in short, all the scientific experi- 1 mentation of a thoroughly equipped and organized Station. The front of the farm is pasture and orchard. The back portion is divided off into two hundred one—tenth acre plots, for convenience in making crop tests. BUILDINGS. The [Main B1¢z7dz'n_g—This is a structure of stone and brick, 140 feet long and 68 feet in width. It contains the office of the President and of the Business Agent, and on the third floor, counting the basement fioor as one, is the chapel, in which each day the students and Faculty meet, and in which are held public gatherings and such other meetings as bring together the entire student body. The remaining space in this building is occupied by recitation rooms. The Staiimz Buz'la'z`n_g—This handsome structure is well planned for the object for which it was built. It is seventy feet in length by fifty- four feet in width, with a tower projection in front, and an octagonal projection eighteen by eighteen on the north side. The building is two stories high, upon a basement eleven feet from floor to ceiling. The main entrance is on the Hrst fioor, on the west side of the building, through an archway fifteen feet wide. The basement is occupied in part by the Station and in part by the College. The next fioor above is