Interview with Frederic J. "Fred" Cowan, July 28, 2006
Part of Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Interview with Frederic J. "Fred" Cowan, July 28, 2006
- Christy Bohl; interviewer. Frederic J. "Fred" Cowan; interviewee.
- oral histories
- Publication date:
- Date uploaded:
- Cowan (House 1982-1987, 32nd district; Democrat) talks about his childhood in New York and Delaware before coming to Kentucky, his parents' divorce, attending high school in Louisville, and attending Dartmouth and Harvard. He discusses his growing interest in civil rights and politics after the Kennedy assassination, serving in the Peace Corps in Ethiopia, moving to various other states for work before coming back to Louisville, working for legislation in progressive areas including environmental issues, human rights, and judicial issues. He concludes by discussing his election as the Attorney General and the decisions which led to running for that office. Part 1 of 2.
- Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, University of Kentucky Libraries
- University of Kentucky
- Legislators -- Kentucky -- Interviews., Civil rights movement -- United States., ennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963 (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963--, Assassination., Peace Corps (U. S.) -- Ethiopia., Kentucky. Attorney General's Office., Ittihat ve Terakki Cemiyeti, Louisville (Ky.), Sturgis (Ky.), Frankfort (Ky.), New York, Delaware, Little Rock (Ark.), North Carolina, Ethiopia, Sloane, Harvey, Mills, Wilbur, Cherry, Wendell, Flynn's Restaurant and Statesman Lounge, Kentucky Dam Village State Park, Teachers Inc., Humana, Inc., Bluegrass State Skills Corporation, Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963, Civil rights, Peace Corps, Vietnam War, military draft, student protests, teaching, consumer advocacy, fundraising, campaigning, air pollution, victims' bill of rights, death penalty, Young Turks, Louisville Caucus, Lobbyists, Kentucky Attorney General candidacy, juvenile justice, Key Legislation: victim's bill of right; juvenile code, Term/District: House (1982-1987), 32nd district, Counties in District: Jefferson County (Ky.)
- Kentucky Legislature Oral History Project
- Metadata record:
- This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. Physical rights are retained by the owning repository. Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws. Please go to http://kdl.kyvl.org for more information.