STATE COLLEGE OF KENTUCKY. 3
Normal Department or course of instruction for irregular periods,
, ` designed more particularly, but not exclusively, to qualify teach-
" ers for common and other schools, shall be established in con-
nection with the College." The second act provides the necessary
endowment to make the Department effective.
, The number of students annually enrolled in the Normal
° School has exceeded expectation. As they come from all parts
of the State, and many of them return well prepared for the pro-
fession of teaching, they must greatly promote the efficiency of
our common schools generally, and demonstrate the wisdom of
· the General Assembly in providing an inexpensive Normal
School, centrally located and easy of access, to keep the State
always supplied with well-trained teachers.
THE KENTUCKY AGRICULTURAL EXPERIMENT STATION.
This Department of the State College originated in a resolu-
' tion of the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees,
adopted in September, 1885, when the Department was organized
and a Director appointed. In 1886 the Station was recognized
and named by the General Assembly, and in 1887 it and a similar
Station in every other State were each endowed by Congress
with an annual appropriation of $15,000.
The work of the Station is directed to two objects: 1. To a
constant succession of experiments by specialists, in order to
learn what applications of science will insure the best returns
from the farm, the garden, the orchard, the vineyard, the stock-
yard, and the dairy. 2. To the publication of bulletins announc-
ing such results of the experiments as are found to be valuable
to any of our people that seek proht from either of those prime
Q" sources of wealth—the soil, the flock, or the herd.
Results of experiments have been published in six reports
and fifty—three bulletins, and general appreciation of their utility
,¤ is shown in the fact that, while no bulletin is sent except upon
application for it, the mailing list of the Station contains more
than 1 1,ooo names, and is ever increasing.
With an ample endowment, a large and commodious building
planned for the purpose, adequate apparatus, a good experimental
farm conveniently situated, and seven capable scientists always
. employed and in correspondence with other stations, The Ken-