struction in "fancy cooking." The statement is made that "The Importance
of the work cannot be overestimated; it embraces what every woman nnd,
if possible every man should know, for on the knowledge there to be acquired, depend health, strength, happiness, 1ind length of days."
The A. nnd M. College became "State University" by net of March 16,
1908, The work in agriculture wns organized Into a college, but "Domestic
Science" wns plnced In Arts nnd Science where it remnined until 1910 when
ho resident teaching work of the College of Agriculture, the Exprimcnt
tation and the newly crented Extension Division were united under the
ulministrntion of one hend, with the title of Dean and Director. At this
time the School of Domestic Science became the Department of Homo
Economics in the College of Agriculture. At this time six courses of study
ere offered nil dealing with food nnd nutrition except ono course In
Iomc Nursing. The department nt this time had only one instructor an
na the case until 1912.
As In the case of agriculture the earlier dnys of, home economics
lacked definite well organized material for instruction. However,
rapid development has followed through the results of research until today
he courses hro filled with valuable material" upon every phase of human food
nd nutrition, clothing, shelter, care of the sick, child care and trnining,
nd practically everything that hns to do with home making. Also
through funds appropriated by Congress to the Experiment Stations it
as been possible to start research work in home economics upon a basis
spmpnrnblo to what is being done In ngriculturc. Great advances in Home
'conomics information nnd instruction mny be nxpected to result from this.
At present the Department of Home Economics hns a staff of six
nstructors and offers 29 courses of study amounting to 91 credit hours.
The first graduates In Home Economics were Eliznbeth Ann Fried
Mrs. Robert Nolan) and Mary Eliznbeth Taylor (Mrs. A. F. Shouse) In
913. There were 63 students registered In Home Economics that year,
5 of whom were pursuing courses lending to a degree and 28 special
tudents. The graduating classes now range from 20 to 25 with an
of approximately 100, all of whom are degree course students.
One hundred nnd thirty four students have been graduated in Home
Of these 54 are tenching Home Economics in College and
Igh schools, seven nrc institutional dietitians, six are teaching In other
elds, three are In business requiring home economics trnining, two nre county
ome demonstration agents, three are in other lines of business, 35 nre home
akrs, two are graduate students, one is dead, three have no employment
d the occupation of 18 is undetermined.
An interesting nnd important fnct is that approximately 70 per cent
f the agricultural graduates, and 75 per cent of the Home Economics grad-te- s
remain in Kentucky. There are approximately as many graduates
n agriculture and home economics from, other states working in
ns we have furnished to other states. It will thus be seen that money
nent in training these young men and women results in a direct benefit
o the state.
The attitude of the farming population toward the College of
and Experiment Station has been one of unusual friendlenss and
Editor W. C. Wilson, Alumni Secretary
Assistant Editor, Helen J. Osborne
Monday regular) luncheon nt 12:15
Marshal Fichl Men's Store (Grill
Louisville, Jnnunry 2 (First Saturday Regular) luncheon at 1:15
According to custom there will be
no issue of the Kernel until Friday,
January 7. The student will return
January 1 from the Christmas holidays, and a paper will be printed that
week. Therefore, even though perhaps slightly nhcad of time the Alumni association wishes all of its members n very Merry Christmas and n
happy nnd prosperous New Year.
Philadelphia, January 2 (First
Fnturdny Regular) luncheon at 1:15
Engineer's club, 1317 Spruce street.
Buffalo, January 9 (Second Saturday Regular) luncheon at 1.15
SAY 'MERRY CHRISTMAS' WITH
Chnmber of Commerce, corner Main AYEAR"S SUBSCRIPTION TO THE
and Seneca street.
Lexington, January 9 (Second Sat- KENTUCKY KERNEL
urday.) luncheon nt 12:30 Lafayette TO THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
The Agricultural College of the University of
(Bv George Roberts)
The University of Kentucky is the outgrowth of the Agricultural and
College which was established under the provisions of the Mor
Act passed bv Comrress in 1862. This act apportioned to
each state 30.000 acres of public land for each senator and representative
in Congress nt that time. Under this allotment Kentucky received 330,000
The Agricultural and Mechanical College was not established until 186
when it was made, by act of the legislature of Kentucky, a College of Ken
tucky University (The present Transylvania College.)
lhe college wa
formally opened in 1860. The land allotment was sold for $165,000 and th
interest on this and S20.000 appropriated by the state legislature constituted
the financial support of the new college. John B. Bowman, the Regent of
lhe university, in accenting the conditions laid down by the legislature foi
A natural outgrowth of this system of higher agricultural and home
College of Agriculture is fortunate in haying for its leader Thoma;
incorporating the A. and M. College with Kentucky University, pledged P. Cooper. Since assuming the deanship in 1918, ho has succeeded admir- ronomics education was the Extension System for carrying the results
that he would purchase for the sole nnd exclusive use of the Agricultura ably in strengthening the organization of the College in all of its divisions. f the work of the college and Experiment Station to the farmers. Space
and Mechanical College an Experimental farm to cost not less than one .ind under his direction the efforts of the College of Agriculture have hai "rbids a detailed account of the beginnings and growth of this work. A,
'.epartment of Agricultural Extension was organized in 1910 before Congress
hundred thousand dollars." The former estate of Henry Clay together with .narked influence on the agriculture of the state.
lying between Ashland and the city limits ol
hrough the Smith-Levthe adioining "Woodlands
His academic education was received at the University of Minnesota
Act (1914) provided funds for agricultural exLexington, constituting a body of 433 acres, were purchased for S147.00C
where he was graduated from the College of Agriculture. Since leaving col tension work.
money being raised by popular subscription. The old brick building lege, his time and energy have been devoted to the further study of farn
The Extension Staff in Agiculture and Home Economics now has 34
on Ashland estate, now used as stables, was erected for mechanical shops.
ubject matter specialists and 98 county agricultural and Home Demonstra-'o- n
management and agricultural economics and to the training of young me;
agents. Some of the subject matter specialists are however part
ad women, with the result that he is one of the, foremost practical agricul
which cannot be discussed here and which led to
ime extension workers, since some of them teach cbllge courses and some
separation of the A. and M. College. The act of 1865 was repealed in 1878 taral economists in the country and a recognized leader in the field of agr
f them are engaged in research work.
"and a commission was appointed to recommend to the legislature of 1879-8If space permitted it would be interesting to point out a number of
a plan of organization for an institution including the Agricultural and
His professional experience covers the positions of assistant in farn,
s the necessities of the Commonwealth
of the college and their influence upon the agriculture of
Mechanicul College, such
management at tne university ot Minnesota, xwi-vo- ;
special agent zo:
he state. However the unsolved problems are masters of more concern
ne Bureau of Statistics, United States Department of Agriculture, 1904-1- 0
In the separation of Kentucky University and the A. and M. College,
was found that "the deed of the splendid furm comprising Ashland and assistant in charge of farm management studies and demonstration farms made the accomplishments. Some provision for expansion has been recently
through the establishment of the Robinson Substation in Eastern
director of Better Farming Association o.
Woodlands estates, the purchase price of which had been subscribed by jniversity of Minnesota, 1908-1and the Princeton Substation in Western Kentucky. Also the passage
director of the North Dakota Agricultural Experi
citizens of Lexington and vicinity, was. vested in Kentucky University and .orth Dakota, 1911-1f the Purnell bill has given some relief to the Experiment Station.
and, since 1918, dean anc
not in the A. nnd M, College. All buildings went with the land to Kentucky aient Station and of Agricultural Extension,
One of the pressing needs of the college is buildings adequate to house
University. The A. and M. College had nothing except the interest on director of the College of Agriculture of the University of Kentucky, which
'ts work. The college has one small building on the campus, containing three
position he now holds.
$165,000 resulting from the sale of 330,000 acres of land.
lecture rooms and four laboratories and a few offices, to accommodate the
Among the professional and scientific organizations of which he is
Fayette county and the city of Lexington came to the relief of the
nstructional work in both agriculture and home economics. The large part
college, the county offering an appropriation of $20,000 in bonds and the member are the American Association for the Advancement of Science
city of Lexington $30,000 in bonds and the donation of the city park of 52 American Academy of Political and Social Science, American Farm Economic. n the instructional Stationand the administrative officers have their office
building two blocks away,
acres, the present campus exclusive of the Mulligan property on which the Association and Association of Southern Agricultural Workers. Also, hi nly great inconvenience in meetings classes and getting which means not
class room material
aolds membership in the Sigma Xi, Alpha eta and, Acacia Fraternities, n
president s house is located and the lots fronting on Uraham avenue.
o the building, but means a loss of the natural opportunities for contact
of the Kentucky State Livestock Sanitary Board, and a mem between students and instructors
The report of the commission above referred to recommended the location
that would come with more of them with
of the College at Lexington and presented a draft of a charter for the mstitu oer of the Kentucky State Board of Agriculture and of the Kentucky State offices in the building
where the class rooms are. The building equipment
tion which was ratified by the legislature of 1879-8f the College of Agriculture is among the most inadequate of an state
Established as an independent school people began to take an interest
As a signal recognition of his ability as an economist, leader and ex "n the Union.
in the State College and a special committee was appointed by the legi
ecutive, he was offered the position of chief of the Bureau of Agricultural
Another imperative need is more land for the Experiment Station
lature to consider its needs, whereas before little interest was manifested economics of the United States Department of Agriculture, which positioi "Jntil two years-ag- o
the station had only 243 acres of land at Lextington!
e declined to accept permanently. However, the Board of Trustees, ap
"wo years ago 130 acres were purchased but this piece of land is not
When the separation took place and the young institution undertook to ,)reciating the honor to him in such an appointment with the reflected credi
with the present farm where all implements and animals must be
make a new start it was beset with almost unsurmountable difficulties. There .nd advantages from this added experience to the university, granted hin
ept. The only means of entrance to the new farm is through a mile's
were "less than seventy students, the Mechanical department was practically a leave of absence not to exceed nine months, so that he might assist Sec
on the Nicholasville pike which makes is expensive to utilize it as
closed, and the Agricultural department consisted mainly of ordinary farming retary Jardine during the. transitory period of reorganization in the bureau well as dangerous to all livestock that must be driven to and
and gardening with scarcely any attempt at experimental work or research Meantime, he continues to serve as dean of the College of Agriculture, main "t is imperative that the Experiment Station have the land from the farm,
The institution had no building, not an acre of ground, neither shop nor earning his contacts with its faculty, students and work by frequent visit
he Station farm and the new acquisiion if the Station is to expand its work
laboratory. All that it had when the break came was an annual income o to the institution.
n any sort of an adequate way.
$9,900 and a lot of difficulties, the details of which need not be stated here
Possessed of real leadership, ability and fine ideals, Dean Cooper is
It may appear to. some that with a staff the size of that of the College
The Administration building, the old Dormitory (White hall) and the an able and inspiring guide both to students and faculty, who esteem him f Agriculture there would be no need for expansion. It must be rememberPatterson residence 'were the first three buildings and were dedicated on not only for these qualities, but for his easy. charm of manner and genuine ed that there are more than 250,000 farms in Kentucky with a population
good feeling toward his fellowmen, which make him at once jriend as well if 1,300,000 living upon them, or more than half of our people.
the 13 day of February 1882.
llustration of the need of a large staff, only two men are employed for
The object in calling attention to these facts in the early history of as counselor.
he investigation of all the diseases affecting crop plants, yet plant diseases
splendid and promising
the institution is to remind our readers that this
re taking a toll of hundreds of thousands of dollars annually.
university of today came into existence through the effort to establish an
Like any other expanding science the more thre is known th mn
agricultural and mechanical college and to state, what the writer believe:. .nnouncement of a new department, namely Veterinary Science. All chem
to be true, that the introduction of this phase of education into the mghei istry goes out of the department of agriculture and it is limited to "Agri there is seen of things needing investigation. We have certainly not yet
eached the limit of economical expansion in the investigational work of
institutions of learning has had a profound influence in developing the culture" and "Horticulture" as courses of study, with text book and lecture
spirit and methods of research in them and in giving them as well as al .ork in the junior year and "practical work in the senior year. Prefessor ".he Agricultural College.
Only 75 counties are served by County Agricultural Agents nA rmlv
other colleges and universities a higher conception of their responsibility covell now. appears as the Professor of Agriculture, but he served in this
to the public welfare.
capacity for only a year, being, succeeded by Professor J. H. Connell, whenwe ""3 counties by home demonstration agents. The number of subject matter
peciallsts' employed cannot possibly serve the state as it should be. Usually
It is true that in the early beginnings of Agricultural Colleges not much .e have a course in stock breeding appearing as a distinct course in animal here is one person to a subject: He would have to
msbandry. At this time other courses were becoming mode definite
agriculture was taught because little was known beyond farm experience
tay a short time to work with each County Agent in the course of a yean.
The realization of the scarcity of scientific data gave great impetus to in there being courses in dairying, stockfeeding, crops and fertilizers? the selec
on oi crops, and r arm Economy" the latter being an entirely new type oi Expansion of the extension work has reached its limit under the Dresent
vestigations and to the study of sciences related to plant and animal growth
Recognizing the need for investigation, Congress through the Hatch jourse.
Beginning, as nearly as can be determined from the cataiogs, in the
Act, approved in 1887, appropriated to the several states $15,000 each for
econd semester of 1893-9the following requirement was made of all stud
the purpose of establishing experiment stations. However the Kentucky Ex
AG. TEACHERS FROM U. OF K.
periment Station was established in December 1885 with Dr. M. A. Scovel onts regardless of the courses they were pursing: "All male students are
required to attend during part of one school year a course of lectures upon
as director, who continued in this capacity until 1912.
subjects bearing upon agriculture. The course is intended as a means of
According to a list issued by the
The Btaff of the Kentucky Experiment Station now numbers no les
.isseminatng a knowledge of and arousing an interest in agriculture as an Experiment Station of the University
than forty persons engaged in research work besides a number of person
rt, and is also designed to meet the wants of students who can remain at of Kentucky, alumni and former stud Anderson V. Tempel is teaching in the
'engaged in inspection and other regulatory service for the benefit of farmers
county high school at Law- -'
he college but a short time, and wish while here to get as much in ents who are teaching agriculture in renceburg, Ky.
Out of this vast effort at research has grown up a body of material of scien
line of agriculture as possible. The course begins in January f,he schools of Kentucky are
Ralph H. Woods is teaching in the
tific value for instruction of college students and great practical value foi truction in the nr March, a
the fol- nd terminates
lecture being delivered on Monday, Wednesday,
high school at La Center, Ky.
nd Friday1 of each week. During the past year the course consisted of
John P. Pirtle is teaching at the
The Morrill Act of 1862 contains the following concerning what may
hirty lectures on the following subjects: Agricultural Chemistry, Dairying,
Elmer E. Tarter is superintendent Calloway county high school, Almo,
be taught in the colleges established under its provisions: "The leading Economic Entomology, Farm Animals, Fertilizers, Horticulture, Geology
f the high .school at Clinton, Ky.
object shall be, without excludingother scientific and classical studies, anc s related to Agriculture, Jr'lant laio on the Farm."
Feaster Wolford is a
including military tactics, to teacn sucn orancnes oi learning as are reiatec
The first graduate in Agriculture (Degree B. S. Agr.) was Robert B
Joseph R. Wall is teaching at agriculture teacher at Albany, Ky.
to Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts in such a manner as the legislature
Jamilton of the class of 1898. There were five students registered in the Taneyville, Ky.
Joe C. Towery is superintendent of
of- - the states may respectively prescribe, in order to promote liberal and
gricultural course at this time. Mr. Hamilton is now a practising lawyer
the Corydon graded schools, Corydon,
practical education of the industrial classes in the several pursuits and pre n New rork city.
James Y. Bailey, who married Miss Kentucky.
fessions in life.
The second graduate in Agriculture was T. L. Richmond in 1901. He Tatalie M. Wood '15. is teaching at
Charles Hubbard is teaching at the
The first record I find of instruction in agriculture in the A. and M
erved for some time in the Federal Department of Agriculture with assign
Marshall County high school, BrewCollege is in the catalog for the year 1878-7under the head of the schoo' ment to the Philippines. He is now a prosperous farmer at Riverside. Calif, Mexanderia,
of Chemistry and Physics, of which Dr. Robert Peter, father of our Dr. A From 1901 to 1904 there was one graduate in agriculture each year. In .1905
Armiel Carman, R. R. 11. Lexing
Jerome P. Durham, who married
M. Peter, was the professor. We find daily lectures and recitations running.
.here were three graduates in agriculture with a total registration of 18 ton. Ky., is principal of tho AthenB Miss
Amber L, Roberts ex- - is teachthrough the senior year on "General Chemistry with its applications to Agri n the four-yecourse. There was a steady growth in students and erad High school.
ing at Tompkinsville, Ky.
culture. Medicine and the Mechanic Arts, fully illustrated by experiments.'
ates in agriculture, the maximum enrollment in the degree course being
William O. Suiter is teaching at
Under botany, the laws of growth and the relation of forests to agriculture richea in 1914-lat JiUo. The largest graduating class in Agriculture was
Lawrence A. Bradford is teaching the Muhlenberg county high school,
were considered, while the relation of geology to soils was given attention
eached in 1917 when it was- 38. This number was reached again in 1923 m tne nigh school at Flemingsburg,
i uai, xiy.
Those early days of scarcity of what might be culled strictly agricultural
n 1917 there were 37 graduates in the Arts and Science Colleges. 43 in
William F. Coslow is agricultural
matter for instruction gave a large opportunity to call attention to the Engineering courses, 15 in Law and four in Home Economics which at that .entucky,
inspector at the Simpaonville high
importance of the application of the sciences of the solutions of the problems
mo was a separate college.
Russell A. Hunt( who married Miss Bchool, Simpsonville, Ky.
Nearly all agricultural college have lost heavily in enrollment of agri Mariam Horine '17, is principal of
In the catalog for 1880-8we find this statement in the report of cultural students during the agricultural depression following the war. ne nign
school at Liberty, Ky.
DUES Avn SUBSCRIPTION TO
President Patterson. "For the' first time since he establishment of the Kentucky has suffered lessin this matter than most states. States like
THE KERNEL 3.00
college a decided step has been taken in the direction of realizing the Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, Ohio and New York Buffering from 36 to 57
Emmit E. Bratcher is teaching at
Congressional idea of instruction in scientific agriculture. It is confidently per cent loss in enrollment, while Wisconsin reached a loss of 64 uer cent.
science hiu, Ky.
believed that the appointment of Professor Kellermun, who has devoted lhe trend here as generally elsewhere has started upward again.
N. D. Bryant ex- - Is teach ng at
William L. McGiU is teaching at'
many years to the chemistry and physiology of plant life and who has been
'lhe College of Agriculture has gruduuted 354 students in Agriculture icottsvwe, Ky.
for the last two years prosecuting a series or original investigations at the rheir occuputional distribution is approximutely as follows: 20 per cent are
Frank D. Cox is teaching at Perry-villUniversities in Gottingen and Zurich upon the obscure diseases of plants n Agricultural Colleges, Experiment stations and Departments of Agri
Junius Lewis is teaching vocational
will prove of solid advantage to the institution and to the public. He will culture; iu per cent are county agents; w per cent teachers of agriculture agriculture at Hardin, Ky.
David Brooks is principal of the
return from Europe and assume the duties of his chair in September." (1881) n high schools; four per cent teachers in other branches: 19 per cent are
uupert A. Melt is superintendent high school at Parksville, Ky.
appear courses of study grouped under the farmers; lu per cent in business related to agriculture; 10 per cent in non
In the Catalog of 1881-8the Tolu High and graded school.
Allen P. Miller is teaching at
head, "Uotany, Agriculture and Horticulture." The courses besides general
gricultural und business professions; and three per cent graduate students. ioiu, jvy.
botany were (1) Vegetable Physiology and Histology; (2) Forestry, Medicinal i ho. remainder are unknown or dcud. Only five of the number have died.
Harry E. Richmond, Jr., is teaching
and Commercial Plants; (J) Agricultural Chemistry, boils and Crops; (4) Nine of the graduates are women.
Young Is principal of the at Sacramento, Ky.
Plunting, Budding, Grafting, etc.; Plant DiseuseB; (5)
VetThe staff of instructors in Agriculture now numbers 25. Thev do not 'consolidated school at Mayslick, Ky.
C. O. Warren is teaching at the
give full time to instruction, most of them nlso being members of the
erinary Science; (6) Landscape Gardening. Each course of study ran
Shelby cdunty high school, Cropper,
through a semester.
Experiment Station staff enguged in reseurch work.
Uva S. Bvrd. who married Miss
Professor Kellermun seems to have remained only a year, being succeeded
'lhe results of research work in ugriculture and related sciences have Irma F. Wentzell '20, is teaching at
Edmund B. Nolund is teaching at
by Professor Albert A. Menke.
?reatly enriched the courses of study in Agricultural Colleges. In contrast "ndi7, Kv.
In 1883 or 84 Botany wus transferred to the department of Natural with the meagre beginnings of a few years ago, the College of Agriculture
John W Holland is teaching at
Cluudo Suillmun is teaching at the
History. The department of Agriculture und Horticulture offered the fol- now offers 68 courses of study aggregating 208 credit hours, besides gradordsvlllo, Ky.
Stanford high school, Stanford, Ky.
lowing courses: Organic Chemistry, Agricultural Chemistry, Veterinary uate courses.
'. Harold hnlow is teaching at
James H. Williums is teaching at
Science, Agriculture, Horticulture.
The work in homo economics is a department in the College of Agri Glendalo, Ky.
'he Washington county high school,
appeared u curriculum for agricultural culture. The beginning of this work was the organization of a "School
In the announcements for 1885-8Henry fi. Long is teaching at the Willisburg, Ky.
students in which the entire 4 years' work wus prescribed, consisting of 4 f Domestic Science" December 12, 1905, with instruction beginning on Ojdham County High school, Crest- '25
hours a duy for the entire four years. Of this work 16 per cent could be February 1, 1900. The first courses of instruction were: Pructical Cookery
Ralph Jones is teaching In thn Tnv.
ncluding instruction in food vulues; u course in food production and manu
classified us ugriculture.
D. Y. Dunn is nrinc nal of the high 'or county high school. Cammiliella.
a new course in Agriculture appears with the facture including the muking of dietaries. A special class wan given in school at Finchville, Ky.
In the catalog 1887-6ville, Ky,