0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

8 > Image 8 of Catalogue of the Officers, Studies, and Students of the State College of Kentucky, Lexington, Volume 5 (Session ending 1903 June 4 )

Part of University of Kentucky course catalogs, 1865-

4 STATE COLLEGE OF KENTUCKY. than seventy counties of the Commonwealth. And when the six projected interurban railways are completed, their numerous daily trains will enable students to attend the College from their homes as far as twenty miles away. . GROU N DS. The campus of the College consists of fifty-two acres of land, located within the corporate limits of Lexington. The South Limestone Street f ` - electric car line extends along the greater part of its western border, giving ` opportunity to reach in a few minutes any part of the city. The campus is laid out in walks, drives, and lawns, and is planted with a choice variety of l native and exotic trees and shrubs, to which additions are constantly being c made. A portion of the land has recently been reserved for a botanical . garden, in which will be grown the most desirable native plants, with a view to testing their adaptability to cultivation and to give increased facilities to students taking agricultural and biological courses. Two and a half acres, p forming the northeast portion of the campus, inclosed and provided with a grand stand, is devoted to the field sports of students. . About three-quarters of a mile south of the campus, on the Nicholas- ville pike, an extension of South Limestone street, is the Experiment Sta- - . tion Farm, consisting of two hundred and three acres, to which sixty-four , and a half acres have been added by recent purchase. Here the field exper- A' iments of the Station are conducted, and students have opportunities to . witness tests of varieties of field crops, dairy tests, fertilizer tests, fruit- V spraying tests; in short all the scientific experimentation of a thoroughly equipped and organized Station. The front of the farm is pasture and orchard. The back portion is divided off into two hundred one-tenth acre plots, for convenience in making crop tests. BUILDINGS. The Iliaivz B11'!ding.This is a structure of stone and brick, 140 feet A long and GS feet in width. It contains the office of the President and of the Business Agent, and on the third fioor. counting the basement floor as one, is the chapel, in which each day the students and Faculty meet for worship, and in which are held public gatherings and such other meetings . as bring together the entire student body. The remaining space in this building is occupied by recitation rooms. The Old Staiiarz Bai/dizg.This handsome structure is well planned p for the object for which it was built. It is seventy feet in length and fifty- four feet in width, with a tower projection in front, and an octagonal pro- jection eighteen by eighteen on the north side. The building is two stories high, upon a basement eleven feet from floor to ceiling. The main entrance is on the first fioor, on the west side of the building, through an archway fifteen feet wide. This building is henceforth to be dedicated exclusively to the Depart- ment of Chemistry. ,