STATE COLLEGE OF KENTUCKY. 5
Illeehahical Hzzll.—'l`his building covers altogether an area of about
* 20,000 feet, is constructed of stone and pressed brick, and is well furnished
with machinery and appliances for work in Mechanical Engineering.
The D0rmit0ries.——The two large dormitories on the campus aHord
_ lodgings for the students who wish to lessen expense in this direction.
` Other buildings on the campus are a brick dwelling for the President and a
cottage occupied by the Commandant.
Science Hall.-—This hall, built during the year 1897 for the departments
of Natural Science, is 96 x 97 feet, of pressed brick, trimmed with Bowling
Green limestone. The wide halls, the numerous and spacious lecture rooms,
laboratories, and ofhces in its three stories are conveniently arranged, well
lighted, and the rooms are well furnished.
The Farm Buildings.-—On the farm is a brick dwelling occupied by
the Director of the Station, and the usual buildings for the care of tools,
the protection of stock, and the like.
The Gymnasium.-—'1`his imposing structure of pressed brick and Bed-
ford stone, 100 x 157 feet, with its central part three stories high, the right
wing one and the left two, has just been completed, 150 feet north of the
Main Building, at a cost of $30,000.
The nrst floor of the central portion contains the Armory, lockers for
women, and the oilices of the Comniandant and the Physical Director.
The second floor is occupied by Alumni Hall, the Trustees’ room, and a
society hall. The third floor is divided into two society halls and a hall for
the Y. M. C. A. All these rooms are commodious and finely adapted to
their purpose. The right wing, which is 48 x 95 feet, is used as a drill—room
during bad weather. The basement of the left wing is set apart for baths,
lockers for men, wash-stands, closets, and a swimming-pool. The second
floor, the gymnasium proper, is splendidly equipped with the best apparatus
that could be procured.
The whole building is Hnished in yellow pine, heated by steam, and
lighted by electricity.
The New Station B1¢itdz`hg.—-This is to be erected during the Summer
"_ of 1903, on South Limestone, and a fourth of a mile from the campus.
The building is to be two-stories and the basement, of pressed brick
with oolitic limestone-trimmings. The foundation is to be of Kentucky
p gray limestone, faced with broken ashlar oolitic limestone, the balustrade of
terra-cotta. A large portico, with columns extending from the first floor
line to the pediment on a level with the cornice, will form an attractive fea-
ture of the building. The cornice will be massive, with large brackets.
The general design of the building, which is to be 114 long x 60 feet
deep, is colonial, adhering as strictly as possible to classic proportions and
The Young W0men’s C0/lege Howe, on South Limestone, a fourth of a
mile north of the College, is to be completed by Oct. 1, and to be supplied
with every comfort and convenience for 124 occupants, two in a room. Cost