Nineteen hundred and forty-two. As our yearbook went to press at the turn of the year, the University of Kentucky began a celebration of the seventy-fifth year since its founding. A few weeks before New Year's, the United States was plunged into the present conflict, the news of it shocking the University faculty and student body. So far there have been few war-time changes, and we continue our work normally.
As the cover indicates, our theme this year is the University of Kentucky's Diamond Jubilee—seventy-five years of distinguished service in student instruction and contribution to the state through experimentation, research, and public service.
In three-quarters of a century, our University changed from an Agriculture and Mechanics College of 190 students to a nationally-known school of over 3,000 students, attending classes in the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Law, the College of Education, the College of Commerce, the Graduate School, and a Department of University Extension.
Chronologically, our University first appeared as a part of Transylvania College in 1887, under the name Kentucky University. Each of the first three years saw a change in presidents —John Augustus Williams, 1866-67, James Desha Pickett, 1867-68; and James Kennedy Patterson, 1868, 1910. The latter served as president for 42 years.
We severed connections with Transylvania College in 1879, and were known for the next thirty years as the State Agricultural and Mechanical College. In 1909, when our president was Henry S. Barker, the name was again changed; this time to State University. The University's present name, the University of Kentucky, became known when Frank LeRond McVey was inaugurated in 1917. President McVey remained until his retirement last year.
"Granny", who is our theme interlocutor this year, will ramble on the divisional pages, discussing the new and the old. She represents an alumna who went to our University from 1886 to 1890.