HISTORY OF HENDERSON COUNTY, KY.



    Under the ministration of Dr. Viehe, the church has grown and
is now one of the largest congregations in the city. The Doctor is a mnan
of comprehensive views and an actice worker, and so far as our limited
knowledge extends, greatly beloved by his flock.
    N. B.-Since the foregoing was written Dr. Viehe has resigned
the pastorate, and is succeeded by Rev. F. W. Adomeit.
                THE METHODIST CHURCH
Was pioneer in Henderson County. As far back as 1805 the records
are distinct. In that year there was a small Methodist society found
in what is now the City of Henderson. They worshiped in a brick
church, which was situated on the present vacant lot (Public Square)
just south of the Court House, and was used as a Union Church.
    The Rev. Thomas Taylor was the first Methodist preacher of
whom any record can be had as connected with the church in Hen-
derson. The work was then called Red Bank Circuit.
    The records are missing from this period to 1831 and 1832, when
the Rev. Abram Long was the preacher in charge in 18334.
    J. D. Bennett, who is now living, andoa member of the Louisville
Conference, was the pastor in 1835-6. A. L. Alderson was the
preacher.. About this time the name was changed to that of Henderson
Circuit; it was in the Paris District Tennessee Conference. Mr. Alder-
son was succeeded by the Rev. Joseph P. Stanfield in 1837-8. Mr.
Stanfield was very successful as a revivalist and a large number of
souls were converted under his ministrv. He was followed by the
Rev. Robert Gardner, and the membership at this time did not exceed
20 or 30. It was during his pastorate that the first great revival in
Henderson is to be recorded. It is worthy of remark that while Mr.
Gardner was the pastor, this revival was the result of the joint labors
of the sweet-spirited Edwin Roberts and the preacher in charge.
    In 1839 another revival followed of still larger proportions than
the one in 1838. It was during this meeting that the Rev. W. H.
Sandefur (" Uncle Billy,' as we call him) was connected with the
church. He is now superannuated, but was for many years an active
and very useful local preacher. He is still living, but is unable to
preach on account of age and feebleness. His name stands on the
Quarterly Conference Journal as a local elder.
    In 1840 we find the Methodists worshiping in a little frame
church which stood right where the First Colored Baptist Church
now stands, and was built during this year, and was the result doubt-
less of the revivals that preceded it.



439