December 30th, the great battle of Stone River was begun by heavy
skirmishing. Wednesday there was a heavy artillery engagement,
beginning in the morning and lasting most of the day. There was also
heavy fighting between the infantry and artillery during the day, and
the slaughter on both sides was terrible. lThursday there was again
heavy fighting. Friday, January 2d, Eugene L. Johnston was killed.
When he enlisted and left his home he carried with him a neat fold-
ing memorandum book, in which he kept a correct diary account of
the doings of his command. Not a day escaped him, and his minutes
were liberal and well written. He gives an interesting description of
the battle of Stone River up to Thursday night before his death, and
closed Jby heading the next page Friday, January 2d. 1863. Poor boy!
that was the last line ever written by him. Twenty years after, the
finder of young Johnston's book, by some means discovered the resi-
dence of his brother, Joseph B. Johnston, and mailed him the book
with the following written on the inside of the cover:
    " Found on the battle field of Stone River, near Murfreesboro,
Tennessee, Friday evening, January 2d, 1863, by the subscriber and
forwarded to J. B. Johnston July 26th, 1883, after a period of over
twenty years between dates.
         "R. C. LANE, Capt. Co. H. 40th, Ind. Vet. Vol. Infantry.
  Paris, Illinois."
    When Captain Lane discovered the body lying upon the battle-
field, it was after nightfall, and the book found open in his hand. Mr.
Johnston prizes the little book as only a brother can, and will ever
hold Captain Lane in kindly remembrance. Joseph B. Johnston,
second son, followed the footsteps of his brother Eugene, and he, too,
learned the art of type-setting, but this work was too monotonous for
his active spirit. His first venture was in partnership with R. P.
Evans, in the drug business. A short time after he went West,
and clerked, during 1864 and '65, in St. Louis and St. Joe, Missouri.
Returning home he again entered the drug business in partnership
with H. S. Park. In 1867 he sold his interest to Cabell  Towles,
and accepted a clerkship with G. A. Mayer's Sons, where he remained
for three years. He then built the brick storehouse on the northeast
side of Second, between Main and Water Streets, and opened a build-
ers' emporium, where he continued seven years, or up to 1880. He
then joined the firm of French Mayer  Co., and established the
spoke and handle factory, corner Fourth and Green Streets. Several
months after, he sold his interest to Edwin Robards. Then, in part-
nership with his uncle, E. W, Worsham, he built the Peerless Distillery,