toward the trees. One shot broke his leg and killed his horse. Hopping on one leg, and protecting himself with his shield of buffalo hide, he attempted to get out of range, but was killed in the effort. A handful of Indians sprang forward to seize his body, an attempt which was successful, but which cost the lives of several braves.

The whole company of Indians then retired, only to return Avith another chief at their head, Avho met the same fate as his predecessor. By this time some twenty Indians had gotten to the rear of the white men, and, concealing themselves behind the bank of a creek, poured in a dangerous fire. Two men were shot through the body at its very beginning, and a third had his gun cut in tAvo by a rifle ball.

Practically surrounded by Indians, so that the trees no longer afforded cover, the Avhites determined to shift their position to a dense thicket, Avhich Avas near by. To accomplish this move, it was necessary to dislodge the Indians from the bank of the creek. They succeeded in shooting so many of the latter through the head, that they Avere enabled to run to the thicket without loss. Once fairly located here, the whites had a material advantage. Every time they fired, the men Avould quickly change their positions, moving several feet away. While they had a fair view of the Indians in the prairie, the latter had no target except the smoke of the guns above the thicket. In the course of a two hours' fight, only one Avhite man was injured.

Suffering heavily from the unerring aim of the treasure-hunters, the Indians fired the prairie grass, with the vieAv of smoking out the white men. The latter barricaded themselves as Avell as they could with rock, and, owing to the direction of the Avind, were, for a considerable time, in but little danger. At last the wind changed, and the fire started directly toward the position of the white men. On it came in a wall of flame fully ten feet high. The Indians kept up an incessant fire upon the thicket, as well as a hideous din of shouts and yells.