- 5 -
(First entry, p. 15)
‘ 2. GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATION AND RECORDS SYSTEM
The act creating McCreary County, approved by the governor March 12, 1912,
provided that a board of three commissioners, residents of the county, be ap-
pointed by the governor from the two political parties to hold office until
their work be completed. This board was to select a temporary seat of govern-
ment for McCreary County, designating a place for holding court and a place
of record until a permanent government be organized (Order Book, entry 75).
The board met at the town of Pine Knot soon after its appointment and,
after being duly sworn, proceeded to divide the county into magisterial dis-
tricts and voting precincts and fix voting places in each precinct. Two
copies of its report were made, one being sent to the secretary of state and
the other given to the county court clerk to file.
It was provided also that the governor appoint from eligible citizens
of the county all officers provided for by the constitution and statutes at
that time. The appointment of magistrates, however, was not to be made until
the county was divided into magisterial districts (Const. of 1891, sec. 142).
Judicial district 54 was changed at this time to include McCreary3 Knox, and
Whitley counties, which arrangement is still in effect today (Carroll, sec.
ees-sa).
The first county officers chosen by the governor were as follows: J. C.
Goode, county judge; George W. Stephens, county attorney; Preston R. Bell,
sheriff, Joseph Myrick, county court clerk; N. F. Roberts, jailer; W. P. John-
son, assessor; and Wiley S. Gilreath, county school superintendent. Later,
eight justices were appointed for the new1y—created magisterial districts in
the county (Order Book, entry 75).
As established by the constitution of l89l, the fiscal court in McCreary
County has jurisdiction over all administrative and fiscal affairs of the
county. This court is composed of the county judge, who is elected by the
county at large for a four-year term and is Presiding officer of the court,
and the eight justices of the peace, each of whom isedected in his respective
magisterial district (Const, of 1891, sec. 114). Each of the eight justices
also preside over a justice's court in his respective district, as provided
for by the constitution (ibid., sec. 142).
The circuit court clerk, a constitutional officer, is elected for a six-
year term. He serves as recording agent for the circuit court, which is com-
posed of the circuit judge as presiding officer and the commonwealth attorney,
both of whom are also provided for by constitution and elected for six—ycar
terms by the electorate of Judicial District 54 (ibid., secs. 97, 129). The
circuit court sessions in McCreary County are provided for by statutes (Car-
roll, sec. 955-54), and the court itself is provided for bv constitution—-—
(Qpnst. of 1891, secs. 125, 129-151), The master commissioner, a statutory
office, Ié";§§Bl¤tea for the county for a four~yoar term by the circuit judge
(Carroll, sec, 592).
Thtrw are seven other elective offices in MoCrcary County provided for
by constitution and serving for four-year terms; county attorney, county court
Fi-74-ll