In the operations pending and during the battle of Stone River, alluded to in preceding chapter, the First Kentucky constituted with the Fifth Kentucky, Col. D. Howard Smith, and the Sixth Kentucky, Col. J. Warren Grigsby, a small brigade of cavalry under command of Brig.-Gen. Abram Buford, one of four brigades under the general command of Gen. Joseph Wheeler.

Buford was at Rover, eighteen miles from Murfreesboro', while Rosecrans was fighting his way into position along Stone River. Under order of Gen. Bragg, he left this post at daylight, Dec. 31, 1862, and by noon had taken position on the extreme left. Here he was joined by Wheeler's main force. A movement was now begun along the enemy's flank, the First Kentucky in advance, till a strong force of Federal infantry, cavalry, and artillery, near Miller's house, escorting a large wagon train, was encountered. Buford promptly formed, with Col. Butler on the right and threatening the enemy's flank. Skirmishers had been thrown out, and these opened the attack, to which the enemy replied with artillery. The affair continued only a short time, the brigade receiving an order from Gen. Wheeler to withdraw, but not until some loss had been sustained. The First Kentucky had a man killed, and three of the brigade were wounded; also, two horses were killed and two disabled; but they took thirty prisoners, whom they paroled and left on the field.

Shortly after rejoining Wheeler the united forces moved out on the Wilkinson pike, and on the right bank of Overall's Creek found the enemy posted under cover of woods. Some fighting ensued here, during which Maj. Chenoweth, Capt. Wm. Campbell, and six privates of Buford's brigade were wounded. The enemy on this part of the line was driven back more than a mile, and some prisoners were taken, whom, as at Miller's, they were compelled to parole and leave at large.

During the movement in rear of the enemy, Thursday, Jan. 1, 1862, the First participated in the capture and destruction of a large wagon train at La Vergne, and bringing off a considerable number of prisoners.

On Friday morning, January 2d, the brigade took position on Bragg's left, near Mrs. Washington's, where it remained during the