of this page
of entire item
Letter to Captain Russell Sturgis, aboard the Achilles, Washington D.C
To Father. The
<i>Achilles</i> and crew are scheduled to depart from Washington for an unknown destination. The
<i>Townly</i> is to accompany them. Lieutenant Colonel Ingalls is among the crew, and friend of Sturgis. Provides a drawing of boats on the Potomac River, going past Alexandria. The
<i>South America</i> was lost on Hay Island upon it's return home. Gives an account of ships, and mentions
<i>State of Miami</i>,
<i>Cononicus</i>. They were fired upon in Alexandria and Sturgis describes what happened. Relays that Major Tiffany, A. Quarter Master, and Major Perry of the 15th Regiment N.Y. wish to be remembered to his father.
- 1862 March 18
- Sturgis, Appleton, 1842-1900
- Appleton Sturgis papers | collection guide | more from this collection
- 0.45 Cubic Feet 72 items Page one of the letter is covered in a mylar sleeve due to poor condition. Page one of the letter is covered in a mylar sleeve due to poor condition and some disintegration. The first and last pages of the letter are covered in mylar sleeves due to poor condition and some disintegration. The first page and the last two pages of the letter are covered in mylar sleeves due to poor condition and some disintegration. Letter is covered in a mylar sleeve due to poor condition and some disintegration. Document is covered in a mylar sleeve due to poor condition and some disintegration.
You may come across language in UK Libraries Special Collections Research Center collections and online resources that you find harmful or offensive. SCRC collects materials from different cultures and time periods to preserve and make available the historical record. These materials document the time period when they were created and the view of their creator. As a result, some may demonstrate racist and offensive views that do not reflect the values of UK Libraries.
If you find description with problematic language that you think SCRC should review, please contact us at SCRC@uky.edu.
- Property rights reside with the University of Kentucky. The University of Kentucky holds the copyright for materials created in the course of business by University of Kentucky employees. Copyright for all other materials has not been assigned to the University of Kentucky. For information about permission to reproduce or publish, please contact Special Collections. Contact the Special Collections Research Center for information regarding rights and use of this collection.
Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Peninsular Campaign, 1862
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Correspondence.
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Medical and sanitary affairs
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865.
- University of Kentucky
XML Collection Guide
The text may or may not be an accurate representation of the original.