Book of Hours with an additional prayer, 15th century (MS Latin Kentucky IV)
- Identifier: MS LAT KY IV
- Summary: Miniature Book of Hours in a 18th or 19th century matchbook-style case with an additional owner-inscribed prayer against plagues.
- Origin: 15th century, Northern France or Low Countries
- Decoration: All full page illustrations introducing the Offices have been excised. Evidence of full page illustrations left by offsets (see fol. 4v). Two-line illuminated initials throughout, decorated with blue and red. Single-line initials, illuminated or alternating red and blue, highlighted with penflourishes. One decorative bar.
- Provenance: Front fly leaf: "Henry Hatcher, Salisbury, the gift of Capt. Phillips", "C. Tomlinson (?) from H. Hatcher". Henry Hatcher, possibly the Historian of Salisbury from 1777-1846. Stamped on the spine of the box: "Officiu B.M.V."/ "In membra Ms."/ "S. M.". Written on the front of the box: "Henry Hatcher".
- Notes: Small reader note on 42r after 'Amen' and "Ad primam hystoria", on fol. 54v in gutter edge margin, fol. 58v in gutter edge margin. Indications for the reader to cross themselves (fol. 131v, 138v, 139v). Shift in hand between 131v and 132r.
- Script: Gothic textualis semi-quadrata
- Support: Parchment
- Binding: Later binding, 18th or 19th century (?). Matchbox-style leather case.
- Layout: Page: 80x 58mm. Text: 40x 30mm. Single column, ruled in red with simple frame.
You may come across language in UK Libraries Special Collections Research Center collections and online resources that you find harmful or offensive. SCRC collects materials from different cultures and time periods to preserve and make available the historical record. These materials document the time period when they were created and the view of their creator. As a result, some may demonstrate racist and offensive views that do not reflect the values of UK Libraries.
If you find description with problematic language that you think SCRC should review, please contact us at SCRC@uky.edu.
- This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed in accordance with U. S. copyright laws.
Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Book of Hours
- Personal piety
- Prayers against plague
- Miniature books
- 15th c.
- Henry Hatcher of Salisbury
The text may or may not be an accurate representation of the original.