xt7m639k436q https://exploreuk.uky.edu/dips/xt7m639k436q/data/mets.xml Boone, Daniel, 1734-1820 1916  books b92bb644ba19162009 English Printed for the Daniel Boone Club : N/A Contact the Special Collections Research Center for information regarding rights and use of this collection. Boone, Daniel, 1734-1820 Frontier and pioneer life --Kentucky Indians of North America --Wars --1750-1815 Life and adventures of Colonel Daniel Boone : the first white settler of the state of Kentucky / written by himself ; to which is added a narration of his latter life until his death ; annexed is an eulogy by Lord Byron. text Life and adventures of Colonel Daniel Boone : the first white settler of the state of Kentucky / written by himself ; to which is added a narration of his latter life until his death ; annexed is an eulogy by Lord Byron. 1916 2009 true xt7m639k436q section xt7m639k436q 



the   fibbt   white   settler   OV tub  state op kentucky.


An account or his first excursion to Kentucky in 1769, then a wild Wilderness, inhabited by no other human beings but Savages   his remove there with his (amily in 1773   and of his various encounters with the Indians, from the year 1769 to 1783.


to which is added,

A narration of the moat important incidents of his life from the latter period, until the period of his death, June 37, 1831, at the advanced ago of 90 yeai s    comprising an account of his many extraordinary excursions and hair-breath escapes, while in pursuit of the wild beasts of the forest, his favorite amusement until the day of bis death*


Ik an Eulogy on Col. Boom, and choice of life, by


i irriQl'fn'ir BROOKLYN   Printed for C. Wixdei   I8J3*


51 Copies reprinted for the Daniel Boone Club. Small quarto bound in boards.   Price $3.00. A few remaining copies may be had through CHARLES F. HEARTMAN

   Life and Adventures of Daniel Boon 






Narration of His Latter Life Until His Death


   The first settler of the State of Kentucky 
   life and adventures Colonel DANIEL BOON,

the   sibbt   white   SETTLER   0   tub  state of



An account of his first excursion to Kentucky in 1769, then a wild Wilderness, inhabited by no other human beings but Savages   his remove there with his {amily in 1773   and of his various encounters with the Indians, from the year 1709 to 1782.


to which is added,

A narration of the most important incidents of Ma life from the latter, period, until the period of his death, June 37, 183J, at the advanced age of $0 yeai s    comprising an account of his many extraordinary excursions and hair-breath escapes, while in pursuit of the wild beasts of the forest, bis favorite amusement until the day of bis death*


)b an Eulogy on Col. Boon, and choice of life, by

ii i   I o   eO-VOoo     arrx-BROOKLYN   Printed for C> Wildeb-18JS' 
   Colonel Daniel Boon

It was on the first of May 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness, and left my family and peaceable habitation of the Yadkin river, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America, in quest of the country of Kentucky, in company with John Finley, John Stuart, Joseph Holden, James Money, and William Cool.

On the 7th of June, after travelling through a mountainous wilderness, in a western direction, we found ourselves on Red River, where John Finley had formerly been trading with the Indians, and, from the top of an eminence, saw with pleasure the beautiful level of Kentucky. For some time we had experienced the most uncomfortable weather. We now encamped, made a shelter to defend us from the inclement season, and began to hunt and reconnoitre the country. We

found abundance of wild beasts in this vast forest.........

The buffaloes were more numerous than cattle on other settlements, browzing on the leaves of the cane, or cropping the herbage on those extensive plains. We saw hundreds in a drove; and the numbers about the salt springs were amazing. In the forest, the habitation of beasts of every American kind, we hunted with great success until December.

On the 22d of December, John Stuart and I had a pleasing ramble; but fortune changed the day at the close of it. We had passed through a great forest, in which stood myriads 

of trees, some gay with blossoms, others rich with fruits. Nature was here a series of wonders and a fund of delight. Here she displayed her ingenuity and industry in a variety of flowers and fruits, beautifully coloured, elegantly shaped, and charmingly flavored; and we were diverted with numberless animals, presenting themselves perpetually to our view. In the decline of the day, near Kentucky river, as we ascended the brow of a small hill, a number of Indians rushed out of a thick cane brake, and made us prisoners. The Indians plundered us, and kept us in confinement seven

days...........During this, we discovered no uneasiness or

desire to escape, which made them less suspicious; but in the dead of night, as we lay by a large fire, in a thick cane brake, when sleep had locked up their senses, my situation not disposing me to rest, I gently awoke my companion. We seized this favorable opportunity, and departed, directing our course towards our old camp, but found it plundered, and our company dispersed or gone home.

About this time my brother, Squire Boon, with another adventurer, who came to explore the country shortly after us, was wandering through the forest, and accidentally found our camp. Notwithstanding our unfortunate circumstances, and our dangerous situation, surrounded with hostile savages, our meeting fortunately in the wilderness, gave us the most sensible satisfaction.

Soon after this, my companion in captivity, John Stuart, was killed by the savages: and the man that came with my brother returned home by himself. We were then in a dangerous, helpless situation, exposed daily to perils and death, among savages and wild beasts, not a white man in the country but ourselves.


Thus many hundred miles from our families in the howling wilderness, we did not continue in a state of indolence, but hunted every day, and prepared a little cottage to defend us from the winter storms. We met with no disturbance through the winter.

On the first of May 1770, my brother returned home by himself, for a new recruit of horses and ammunition, leaving me alone, without bread, salt, or sugar, or even a horse or dog. I passed a few days uncomfortably. The idea of a beloved wife and family, and their anxiety on my account, would have disposed me to melancholy, if I had further indulged the thought.

One day I undertook a tour through the country, when the diversity and beauties of nature I met with, in this charming season, expelled every gloomy thought. Just at the close of day, the gentle gales ceased; a profound calm ensued; not a breath shook the tremulous leaf. I had gained the summit of a commanding ridge, and looking round with astonishing delight, beheld the ample plains and beautious tracts below. On one hand I surveyed the famous Ohio, rolling in silent dignity, and marking the western boundary of Kentucky with inconceivable grandeur. At a vast distance, I beheld the mountains lift their venerable brows, and penetrate the clouds. All things were still. I kindled a fire, near a fountain of sweet water, and feasted on the loin of a buck, which a few hours before I had killed. The shades of night soon overspread the hemisphere, and the earth seemed to gasp after the howering moisture. My excursion had fatigued my body, and amused my mind. I laid me down to sleep, and awoke not until the sun had chased away the night. I continued this tour, and in a few days explored a


considerable part of the country, each day equally pleased as at first after which I returned to my old camp, which had not been disturbed in my absence. I did not confine my lodging to it, but often reposed in thick cane brakes to avoid the savages, who, I believe, often visited my camp, but, fortunately for me, in my absence. No populous city, with all the varieties of commerce and stately structures, could afford so much pleasure to my mind, as the beauties of nature I found in this country.

Until the 27th of July, I spent the time in an uninterrupted scene of sylvan pleasures, when my brother, to my great felicity, met me according to appointment, at our old camp. Soon after we left the place, and proceeded to Cumberland river, reconnoitring that part of the country, and giving names to the different rivers.

In March 1771, I returned home to my family, being determined to bring them as soon as possible, at the risk of my life and fortune, to reside in Kentucky, which I esteemed a second paradise.

On my return I found my family in happy circumstances. I sold my farm at Yadkin, and what goods we could not carry with us; and,

On the 25th of September 1773, we bade farewell to our friends, and proceeded on our journey to Kentucky, in company with five more families, and forty men that joined us in Powell's Valley, which is 150 miles from the now settled parts of Kentucky, but this promising beginning was soon overcast with a cloud of adversity.

On the 10th of October, the rear of our company was attacked by a number of Indians, who killed six and wounded one man.  Of these my eldest son was one that fell in the


action. Though we repulsed the enemy, yet this unhappy affair scattered our cattle, brought us into extreme difficulty, and so discouraged the whole company, that we retreated forty miles to Clench river. We had passed over two mountains, Powell's and Walden's, and were approaching Cumberland mountain, when this adverse fortune overtook us. These mountains are in the wilderness, in passing from the old settlements in Virginia to Kentucky, are ranged in a south-west and north-east direction, are of great length and breadth, and, not far distant from each other. Over them nature hath formed passes less difficult than might be expected from the view of such huge piles. The aspect of these cliffs is so wild and horrid, that it is impossible to behold them without terror.

Until the sixth of June, 1774,1 remained with my family on the Clench when I and Michael Stoner were solicited by governor Dunmore, of Virginia, to conduct a number of surveyors to the falls of Ohio. This was a tour of near eight hundred miles, and took us sixty-two days.

On my return, governor Dunmore gave me the command of three garrisons, during the campaign against the Shaw-anese.

In March, 1775, at the solicitation of a number of gentlemen, of North-Carolina, I attended their treaty at Wataga, with the Cherokee Indians, to purchase the lands on the south-side of Kentucky river. After this, I undertook to mark out a road in the best passage from the settlements, through the wilderness to Kentucky.

Having collected a number of enterprizing men, well armed, I soon began this work. We proceeded until we came within fifteen miles of were Boonsborough now stands,


where the Indians attacked us, and killed two, and wounded two more.

This was the 20th of March, 1775. Three days after, they attacked us again; we had two killed and three wounded. After this we proceeded on to Kentucky river without opposition.

On the 1st of April, we began to erect the fort of Boons-borough, at a salt-lick, sixty yards from the river, on the south side.

On the 4th, they killed one of our men.

On the 14th of June, having finished the fort, I returned to my family, on the Clench. Soon after I removed my family to the fort; we arrived safe; my wife and daughter being the first white women that stood on the banks of Kentucky river.

December 24th. The Indians killed one man, and wounded another, seeming determined to persecute us for erecting this fort.

July 14th 1776. Two of col. Calway's daughters, and one of mine, were taken prisoners near the fort. I immediately pursued the Indians, with only 18 men.

On the 16th, I overtook them, killed two of them, and recovered the girls.

The Indians had divided themselves into several parties, and attacked, on the same day, all our settlements and forts, doing a great deal of mischief. The husbandman was shot dead in the field, and most of the cattle were destroyed. They continued their hostilities until

The 15th of April, 1777, when a party of 100 of them attacked Boonsborough and killed one man, and wounded four.

July 4th, they attacked it again with 200 men, and killed us one and wounded two. They remained 48 hours, during


which we killed seven of them. All the settlements were attacked at the same time.

July 19th. Col. Logan's fort was besieged by 200 Indians: they did much mischief; there were only fifteen men in the fort; they killed two, and wounded four of them. Indians' loss unknown.

July 25. Twenty-five men came from Carolina. About

August 20th, colonel Bowman arrived with 100 men from Virginia. Now we began to strengthen, and had skirmishes with the Indians almost every day. The savages now learned the superiority of the LONG KNIFE, as they call the Virginians; being outgeneraled in almost every battle. Our affairs began to wear a new aspect; the enemy did not now venture open war, but practised secret mischief.

January 1,1778. I went with thirty men to the Blue Licks, on Licking river, to make salt for the different garrisons.

February 7th. Hunting by myself, to procure meat for the company, I met a party of 102 Indians and two Frenchmen, marching against Boonsborough. They pursued and took me; and next day I capitulated for my men, knowing they could not escape. They were 27 in number, three having gone home with salt. The Indians, according to the capitulation, used us generously. They carried us to Old Chelicothe, the principal Indian town on Little Miami.

On the 18th of February we arrived there, after an uncomfortable journey, in very severe weather.

On the 10th of March, I and ten of my men were conducted to Detroit.

On the 30th, we arrived there, and were treated by gov-ernour Hamilton, the British commander at that post, with great humanity.


The Indians had such an affection for me, that they refused 1001. sterling offered them by the governor, if they would leave me with the others, on purpose that he might send me home on my parole. Several English gentlemen there, sensible of my adverse fortune, and touched with sympathy, generously offered to supply my wants, which I declined with many thanks, adding that I never expected it would be in my power to recompence such unmerited generosity. The Indians left my men in captivity with the British at Detroit.

On the 10th of April, they brought me towards Old Cheli-cothe, where we arrived on the 25th day of the same month. This was a long and fatiguing march, through an exceeding fertile country, remarkable for fine springs and streams of water. At Chelicothe, I spent my time as comfortable as I could expect; was adopted, according to their custom, into a family, where I became a son, and had a great share in the affection of my new parents, brothers, sisters, and friends. I was exceedingly familiar and friendly with them, always appearing as cheerful and satisfied as possible, and they put great confidence in me. I often went a hunting with them, and frequently gained their applause for my activity at our shooting matches. I was careful not to exceed many of them in shooting; for no people are more envious than they in this sport. I could observe in their countenance and gestures the greatest expressions of joy when they exceeded me; and, when the reverse happened, of envy. The Shawanese king took great notice of me, and treated me with profound respect, and entire friendship, often entrusting me to hunt at my liberty. I frequently returned with the spoils of the woods, and as often presented some of what I had taken to him, ex-


pressive of duty to my sovereign. My food and lodging was in common with them, not so good indeed as I could desire; but necessity made everything acceptable.

I now began to meditate an escape, but carefully avoided giving suspicion.

Until the 1st day of June I continued at Old Chelicothe, and then was taken to the salt springs on Sciota, and kept their ten days making salt. During this time, I had hunted with them, and found the land, for a great extent above this river, to exceed the soil of Kentucky, if possible, and remarkably well watered.

On my return to Chelicothe, four hundred and fifty of the choicest Indian warriors were ready to march against Boonsborough, painted and armed in a fearful manner. This alarmed me, and I determined to escape.

On the 16th of June, before sunrise, I went off secretly, and reaching Boonsborough on the 20th, a journey of one hundred and sixty miles, during which I had only one meal. I found our fortress in a bad state, but we immediately repaired our flanks, gates, posterns, and formed double bastions, which we completed in ten days. One of my fellow prisoners escaping after me, brought advice, that on account of my flight, the Indians had put off their expedition for three weeks.

About August 1st, I set out with 19 men to surprise Point Creek Town on Sciota. Within 4 miles we fell in with 30 Indians going against Boonsborough. We fought, and the enemy gave way. We suffered no loss. The enemy had 1 killed, and 2 wounded. We took 3 horses and all their baggage. The Indians having evacuated their town and gone all together against Boonsborough, we returned, passed them


on the 6th day, and on the 7th arrived safe at Boonsborough.

On the 8th, the Indian army, 444 in number, commanded by capt. Duquesne, and 11 other Frenchmen, and their own chiefs, came and summoned the fort. I requested two days consideration, which they granted. During this, we brought in through the posterns all the horses and other cattle we could collect.

On the 9th, in the evening, I informed their commander, that we were determined to defend the fort, while a man was living. They then proposed a treaty, and said if we sent out 9 men to conclude it, they would withdraw. The treaty was held within 60 yards of the fort, as we suspected the savages. The articles were agreed to and signed; when the Indians told us, it was their custom for 2 Indians to shake hands with every white man in the treaty, as an evidence of friendship. We agreed to this also. They immediately grappled us to take us prisoners, but we cleared ourselves of them, though surrounded by hundreds, and gained the fort safe, except one that was wounded by a heavy fire from their army. On this they began to undermine the fort, beginning at the water-mark of Kentucky river, which is 60 yards from the fort. We discovered this by the water being made muddy with the clay and countermined them by cutting a trench across their subteranean passage. The enemy discovering this, by the clay we threw out of the fort, desisted.

On the 20th of August, they raised the siege.

During this dreadful siege, we had 2 men killed, and 4 wounded. We lost a number of cattle. We killed 37 of the enemy, and wounded a great number. We picked up 125 pounds of their bullets, besides what struck in the logs of the fort.



Soon after this I went into the settlement, and nothing worthy of notice passed for some time.

In July, 1779, during my absence, col. Bowman, with 160 men, went against the Shawanese of Old Chelicothe. He arrived undiscovered; a battle ensued, which lasted until ten in the morning, when col. Bowman retreated 30 miles. The Indians collected all their strength, and pursued him, when another engagement ensued for two hours, not to col. Bowman's advantage. Col. Harrod proposed to mount a number of horses and break the enemy's line, who at this time fought with remarkable fury. This desperate measure had a happy effect, and the savages fled on all sides. In these two battles we had 9 men killed, and 1 wounded. Enemy's loss uncertain, only 2 scalps being taken.

June 22d 1780, about 600 Indians and Canadians, under col. Bird, attacked Riddle's and Martin's station, and the Forks of Licking river, with 6 pieces of artillery. They took all the inhabitants captives, and killed 1 man and 2 women, loaded the others with the heavy baggage; and such as failed in the journey, were tomahawked.

The hostile disposition of the savages, caused gen. Clark, the commandant at the falls of the Ohio, to march with his regiment and the armed force of the country against Pecca-way, the principal town of the Shawanese, on a branch of the Great Miami, which he finished with great success, took 17 scalps, and burned the town to ashes, with the loss of 17 men.

About this time, I returned to Kentucky with my family; for, during my captivity, my wife, thinking me killed by the Indians, had transported my family and goods on horses through the wilderness, amidst many dangers, to her father's


house in North Carolina. The history of my difficulties in going and returning, is too long to be inserted here.

On the 6th October 1780, soon after my settling again at Boonsborough, I went with my brother to the Blue Licks, and on our return, he was shot by a party of Indians; they followed me by the scent of a dog, which I shot, and escaped.

The severity of the winter caused great distress in Kentucky, the enemy during the summer having destroyed most of the corn. The inhabitants lived chiefly on Buffaloes' flesh.

In spring 1782, the Indians harrassed us.

In May they killed 1 man at Ashton's station, and took a negro. Capt. Ashton pursued them with 25 men, and in an engagement which lasted 2 hours, his party were obliged to retreat, having 8 killed, and 4 mortally wounded. Their brave commander fell in the action.

August 10th, two boys were carried off from major Hoy's station. Capt. Holder pursued with 17 men: they were also defeated, and lost 4 and 1 wounded. Our affairs became more and more alarming. The savages infested the country, killing men at every opportunity.

In a field near Lexington, an Indian shot a man, and running to scalp him, was himself shot from the fort, and fell dead upon his enemy.

All the Indian nations were now united against us.

August 15th, 500 Indians and Canadians came against Briant's station, 5 miles from Lexington: they assaulted the fort, killed all the cattle round it. But being repulsed, they retired the 3d day, having about 30 killed, their wounded uncertain.  The garrison had 4 killed and 3 wounded.

August 18th. Col. Todd, col. Trigg, major Harland, and myself, speedily collected 176 men, well armed, and pursued


the savages. They had marched beyond the Blue Licks to a remarkable bend of the main fork of Licking river, about 43 miles from Lexington, where we overtook them on the 19th.

The savages observing us, gave way, and we, ignorant of their numbers, passed the river. When they saw our proceeding, having greatly the advantage in situation, they formed their line of battle from one bend of the Licking to the other, about a mile from the Blue Licks. The battle was exceedingly fierce for about 15 minutes, when we, being overpowered by numbers, were obliged to retreat, with the loss of 67 men, 7 of whom were taken prisoners. The brave and much lamented colonels Todd and Triggs, major Har-land and my second son, were among the dead. We were afterwards told, that the Indians on numbering their dead, finding they had 4 more killed than we, 4 of our people they had taken, were given up to their young warriors to be put to death after their barbarous manner.

On our retreat, we were met by col. Logan, who was hastening to join us, with a number of well armed men. This powerful assistance we wanted on the day of battle. The enemy said, one more fire from us would have made them give way.

I cannot reflect upon this dreadful scene, but sorrow fills my heart. A zeal for the defence of their country led those heroes to the scene of action, though with a few men, to attack a powerful army of experienced warriors. When we gave way, they pursued us with the utmost eagerness, and in every quarter spread destruction. The river was difficult to cross, and many were killed in the flight, some just entering the river, some in the water, others after crossing in ascend-


ing the cliffs. Some escaped on horseback, a few on foot; and being dispersed every where, in a few hours, brought the melancholy news of this unfortunate battle to Lexington. Many widows were now made. The reader may guess what sorrow filled the hearts of the inhabitants, exceeding anything I am able to describe. Being reinforced, we returned to bury the dead, and found their bodies strewed every where, cut and mangled in a dreadful manner. This mournful scene exhibited a horror almost unparalleled; some torn and eaten by wild beasts; those in the river eaten by fishes; all in such a putrified condition, that no one could be distinguished from another.

When gen. Clark at the falls of Ohio, heard of our disaster, he ordered an expedition to pursue the savages; we overtook them within 2 miles of their towns, and we should have obtained a great victory, had not some of them met us when about 200 poles from their camp. The savages fled in the utmost disorder, and evacuated all their towns. We burned to ashes Old Chelicothe, Peccaway, New Chelicothe, Wills Town, and Chelicothe; entirely destroyed their corn and other fruits; and spread desolation through their country. We took 7 prisoners, and 5 scalps, and lost only 4 men, 2 of whom were accidentally killed by ourselves.

This campaign damped the enemy; yet they made secret incursions.

In October, a party attacked Crab Orchard; and one of them, being a good way before the others, boldly entered a house, in which were only a women and her children, and a negro man. The savage used no violence, but attempted to carry off the negro, who happily proved too strong for him, and threw him on the ground, and in the struggle the woman


cut off his head with an axe, while her little daughter shut the door. The savages instantly came up and applied their tomahawks to the door, when the mother putting an old rusty gun barrel through a crevice, the savages went off.

From that time, until the happy return of peace between the United States and Great Britain, the Indians did us no mischief.

Soon after the Indians desired peace.

Two darling sons, and a brother I have lost by savage hands, which have also taken 40 valuable horses, and an abundance of cattle. Many dark and sleepless nights have I spent, separated from the cheerful society of men, scorched by the summer's sun, and pinched by the winter's cold, an instrument ordained to settle the wilderness. But now the scene is changed: peace crowns the sylvan shade.


Fayette County, Kentucky.

   Continuation of the Life of Colonel Boon

For a continuation of the life of Col. Boon, from the conclusion of the American and Indian Wars, we are indebted to a near relation of the Colonel (a resident of Cincinnati) who received it from his own mouth and whose veracity may be depended on:

As soon as peace was effected and became firmly settled with the savages on the frontiers and they ceased to commit depredations from the eastern and southern States to Kentucky and the other Western States became uncountable great, insomuch that the State of Kentucky alone which in 1769 (when first discovered by Col. Boon) contained not a white inhabitant but himself, in 1790 contained upwards of 100 towns of considerable size, and nearly 100,000 inhabitants   and so great was the increase of population from this period, that in 1807 the State contained 34 Counties, peopled by about 350,000 inhabitants, and the militia at this period were estimated at 32,336.

Although it would be natural to suppose that the circumstances of a State of so great extent and population, having in so short a period grown out of a wild Wilderness inhabited by no other human beings but untutored Savages, must have been highly pleasing and flattering to one who could boast of having been its first Christian settler, yet, with Col. Boon, it appears to have had a quite different effect   habituated to


the chase, which had become his favorite amusement from his first excursion to Kentucky he (like the unrefined Savage) viewed apparently the rapid increase of population with more distrust than satisfaction, as he well knew that it would ultimately drive away the wild animals of the forest (with which the country had when first visited so thickly abounded) and that his favorite pursuit would thereby be diminished and in time totally destroyed. Although his many heroic achievements, in protecting the inhabitants of the infant settlements from the bloody tomahawk and scalping knife of the Savages, were justly and duly appreciated by the most respectable inhabitants of the state, yet all compensations offered him therefor in lands, &c, or lucrative offices proffered him, were unequivocally refused by the Colonel, and although of very decent abilities, (with one exception) he could never be prevailed on to fill a public office   to use his own expression "I had much rather (said he) possess a good fowling piece, with two faithful dogs, and traverse the wilderness with one or two friendly Indian companions, in quest of a hoard of Buffaloes or deer, than to possess the best township or to fill the first Executive office of the State."

Chilicote was the place selected by Col. Boon as a place of his permanent residence after the conclusion of peace, but at this period so great was the emigration from all quarters to Kentucky, that the Colonel found himself very soon necessitated (the better to enjoy his favorite amusement) to remove to the more remote and uninhabited part of the State    but even in this secluded retreat he did not long enjoy his wished for repose and amusement   the thirst for cheap and


uncultivated lands, so peculiar at this period to the eastern and southern adventurers and speculators, soon brought them into the very neighborhood of his peaceable dwelling    as they approached the wild animals of the forest (like the aboriginals) receded, and to enjoy the society of the latter, in preference to that of his fellow countrymen, Col. Boon found himself necessitated to follow their example. At the age of 65 he removed with his family to the Tennessee Country, then almost a perfect Wilderness, where he built him a log cabin, and for several years enjoyed undisturbed repose and realized very bountifully the sought for amusements which of all other he most delighted in   the wilderness of which he was now an inhabitant, abounded with Buffaloes, Bears, Deers, &c, which he had for a very considerable time the exclusive and uninterrupted hunting of and destroying at his pleasure. His cabin was occasionally visited by the Indian hunters, but they were those who had been long acquainted with and entertained the greatest friendship for the Colonel and his family, as like him they were once in peaceable possession of the well stocked wilds of Kentucky, but had been induced voluntarily to relinquish them to those whose habits and manners they could not become reconciled to. It is a remarkable fact that the family of Colonel Boon, which was composed of his wife two sons and a daughter, were not less pleased with a secluded life than himself, the two sons seldom accompanied their father in the chase, but it was an amusement of which they were equally fond, and in their different excursions a strife seemed to prevail between the father and sons which should be most successful in the destruction of the animals of the forest, but in eight instances



of twelve fortune generally decided in favor of the old gentleman, who when a fair shot presented, rarely missed his object.