xt7m901zd842 https://nyx.uky.edu/dips/xt7m901zd842/data/mets.xml https://nyx.uky.edu/dips/xt7m901zd842/data/47m84.dao.xml Good Samaritan Hospital. (Lexington, Ky.) 18891956 0.5 Cubic feet 1 box, 5 oversize folders The Good Samaritan Hospital records (.5 cubic feet, 1 box, 2 folders; dated 1889-1956, bulk 1889-1928) comprises a small group of records and architectural drawings from Good Samaritan Hospital, in Lexington, Ky. collections English University of Kentucky This digital resource may be freely searched and displayed.  Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically.  Physical rights are retained by the owning repository.  Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws.  For information about permissions to reproduce or publish, contact the Special Collections Research Center. Good Samaritan Hospital records Blueprints. Hospital architecture Hospital buildings--Design and construction Hospital records. Hospitals--Kentucky--Lexington--Administration. Racism in medicine Reports. Good Samaritan Hospital records text Good Samaritan Hospital records 1889 2014 true xt7m901zd842 collection true 47m84 
     
         47M84 
         
             
                 Good Samaritan Hospital records, 1889-1956
                     47M84 
                 
                 Good Samaritan Hospital records 
                 Finding aid prepared by Archives staff; Ruth E. Bryan 
             
             
                 
                     
                 
                 University of Kentucky Special Collections 
                 
                     Special Collections 
                     Margaret I. King Building, North 
                     Lexington, KY, 40506-0039 
                     (859) 257-8611 
                     SCLREF@LSV.UKY.EDU 
                 
                 2013 Nov. 8 
             
         
         
             This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit
                 2014-10-02T13:08-0400 
             
             Describing Archives: A Content Standard 
         
     
     
         
             Good Samaritan Hospital records 
             47M84 
             
                 University of Kentucky Special Collections 
             
             
                 
             
             
                 0.5 Cubic feet 
                 1 box, 5 oversize folders 
             
             1889-1956 
             The Good Samaritan Hospital records (.5 cubic feet, 1 box, 2 folders; dated 1889-1956, bulk 1889-1928) comprises a small group of records and architectural drawings from Good Samaritan Hospital, in Lexington, Ky. 
             
                 Good Samaritan Hospital. (Lexington, Ky.) 
             
         
         
             Conditions Governing Access note 
             Collection is open for research. 
         
         
             Preferred Citation note 
             47M84: [Identification of item], Good Samaritan Hospital records, 1889-1956, University of Kentucky Special Collections. 
         
         
             Historical note 
             The Women's Guild of Christ Church Cathedral established the Protestant Infirmary in 1888, originally housed at 333 Short Street, Lexington, Ky., the former H.H. Gratz property. In 1890, the Infirmary Board began a Nursing School, which operated through 1971. In 1899, the hospital was renamed Good Samaritan Hospital, becoming a corporation, and the Board of Governors was restructured, comprising representatives of six local Protestant churches. In 1905, after a capital campaign spearheaded by Christ Church member George Weeks, the corporation purchased property at 310 South Limestone street from W.H. McCorkle, formerly the James O. Harrison estate. In 1924, the Methodist Church took over management of the hospital and in 1982, the Good Samaritan Foundation, Inc., was established. In 1995, the Board of Trustees sold the hospital to the Columbia/HCA Healthcare Corporation. In 2007, it was purchased by the University of Kentucky HealthCare. 
             George S. Weeks was a banker and fundraiser in Lexington, Kentucky. He was born in Paris, Kentucky, in May 1869, where his father was rector at St. Peter's Church. He served as Vice President of Second National Bank of Lexington and Manager of Lexington Clearing House Association. He lost his sight at age 60. 
             
             UK HealthCare. 
                 About Good Samaritan Hospital.  Last modified May 31, 2013. http://ukhealthcare.uky.edu/gs/about/. 
         
         
             Scope and Contents note 
             The Good Samaritan Hospital records (.5 cubic feet, 1 box, 5 oversize folders; dated 1889-1956) comprises a small group of records and architectural drawings from Good Samaritan Hospital in Lexington, Ky. The records include an account book of the Protestant Infirmary (1889-1897); Good Samaritan treasurer's reports (1908-1911); financial and capital campaign records (1901-1913); newspaper clippings (1929-1953); and records documenting the involvement of George Weeks and Christ Church Cathedral (Lexington, Ky.) in the hospital's finances (1956). The five sets of architectural drawings on vellum (primarily dated 1905-1906) include complete sets for the Colored Ward, Nurses House, and the Main Building (both drawn by Anderson & Faig). The drawings also include blueprints for alternations and additions to the hospital, dated June 15, 1928, and drawn by Clifford R. Reichert for Starks Building, Louisville, Ky. 
         
         
             Arrangement note 
             Collection is arranged by form. 
         
         
             Conditions Governing Use note 
             Property rights reside with the University of Kentucky. The University of Kentucky holds the copyright for materials created in the course of business by University of Kentucky employees. Copyright for all other materials has not been assigned to the University of Kentucky. For information about permission to reproduce or publish, please contact Special Collections. 
         
         
             Immediate Source of Acquisition note 
             Gift, 1947, and transfer, 2013. 
         
         
             Related Archival Materials note 
             1997ms373, Episcopal Church. Diocese of Lexington records, University of Kentucky Special Collections. 
         
         
             Anderson & Faig. 
             Christ Church Cathedral (Lexington, Ky.). 
             Good Samaritan Hospital. (Lexington, Ky.) 
             Protestant Infirmary (Lexington, Ky.) 
             Starks Building (Louisville, Ky.). 
             Weeks, George S., b. 1869 
             Architectural drawings (visual works) 
             Blueprints. 
             Hospital architecture 
             Hospital buildings--Design and construction 
             Hospital records. 
             Hospitals--Kentucky--Lexington--Administration. 
             Racism in medicine 
             Reports. 
         
         
             
                 
                     Records 
                     1889-1956 
                 
                 
                     
                         Protestant Infirmary account book 
                         1 
                         1 
                         1899 Dec.-1897 Oct. 
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         Treasurer's reports 
                         1 
                         2 
                         1908 Dec.-1911 Nov. 
                     
                     
                         Scope and Contents note 
                         Missing the following minutes: January 19009; September 1910; April, June, and September 1911. 
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         Clippings 
                         1 
                         3 
                         1929-1953 
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         Miscellaneous 
                         1 
                         4 
                         1901-1956 
                     
                     
                         Scope and Contents note 
                         Includes financial statements, 1901-1911; fundraising and capital campaign literature, 1913 and undated; annual report, Feb. 13, 1913; programs for the dedication of the Mary A. Ott Memorial, Sept. 9, 1931; an interview transcript of original capital campaign manager and Christ Church member George Weeks by Jay Jay for radio station WVLK, June 29, 1954; and minutes of the Finance Committee of the Christ Church Vestry discussing and itemizing the various named room memorial contracts/endowments at the hospital, April 28, 1956. 
                     
                 
             
             
                 
                     Drawings and Blueprints 
                     1905-1928 
                 
                 
                     
                         Color Ward drawings (17 sheets)(1 linen; 16 tracing paper) 
                         os 1 
                         1905-1906 
                     
                     
                         Scope and Contents note 
                         Includes floor and roof plans, elevations, framing, details, and utilities. Floor plans include labels indicating each room's function. This building was never built. Drawn by Anderson & Faig, architects and engineers. 
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         [Main building?] second floor double doors plan (1 sheet) (tracing paper) 
                         os 2 
                         undated 
                     
                     
                         Scope and Contents note 
                         Drawn by Anderson & Faig, architects and engineers. 
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         [Main building] heating and ventilation plans (4 sheets) (linen) 
                         os 3 
                         undated 
                     
                     
                         Scope and Contents note 
                         Plans include labels indicating each room's function. Drawn by Anderson & Faig, architects and engineers. 
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         Main building plans (24 sheets) (tracing paper) 
                         os 4 
                         1905 
                     
                     
                         Scope and Contents note 
                         Includes proposed location (not used), floor and roof plans, elevations, framing, details, and utilities. Floor plans include labels indicating each room's function. Drawn by Anderson & Faig, architects and engineers. Fragile: turn with both hands. 
                     
                 
                 
                     
                         [Main building] alterations and additions (5 sheets) (blueprint) 
                         os 5 
                         1928 June 15 
                     
                     
                         Scope and Contents note 
                         Drawn by Clifford R. Reichert for Starks Building, Louisville, Ky.